Anyone ever hear of this? Can this happen? I don't use these but...
Received from a friend who is in the insurance
property business. It is well worth reading.
The original message was
written by a lady whose brother and wife learned a
hard lesson this past week.
Their house burnt down.. nothing left but ashes.
They have good insurance so the house will be
replaced and most of the contents. That is the good
However, they were sick when they found out the
cause of the fire. The insurance investigator
sifted through the ashes for several hours. He had
the cause of the fire traced to the master
He asked her sister-in-law what she had plugged in
the bathroom. She listed the normal
things....curling iron, blow dryer.
He kept saying to her, 'No, this would be something
that would disintegrate at high temperatures'. Then
her sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade
Plug-In, in the bathroom.
The investigator had one of those 'Aha' moments. He
said that was the cause of the fire. He said he has
seen more house fires started with the plug-in type
room fresheners than anything else. He said the
plastic they are made from is THIN. He also said
that in every case there was nothing left to prove
that it even existed.
When the investigator looked in the wall plug, the
two prongs left from the plug-in were still in
Her sister-in-law had one of the plug-ins that had a
small night light built in it. She said she had
noticed that the light would dim and then finally
go out. She would walk in to the bathroom a few
hours later, and the light would be back on again.
The investigator said that the unit was getting
too hot, and would dim and go out
rather than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled
down it would come back on. That is a warning sign
The investigator said he personally wouldn't have
any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in
his house. He has seen too many places that have
been burned down due to them.