Well shut off valve leak

Users who are viewing this thread

sarairmech

Reaction score
First time poster. Freshwater well supplying water to the house. 300 feet depth.

I was in my crawl space today to replace my whole house filter and noticed that the shut off valve between my well tank and the filter has a leak. I need to replace the seals in the valve. It looks like a common spigot type valve. My questions are these:
1. How do I shut off the water from the well to replace the seals? Will switching off the house circuit breaker powering the well pump do the trick?
2. Will the tank completely drain when I take the valve apart to replace the seals?
3. Will I lose air pressure from the tank when I take the valve apart?

Thanks in advance for your help. :)

Regards,
Sarairmech

R

Rancher

It looks like a common spigot type valve.
It probably isn't the same as a common spigot type valve...

1. How do I shut off the water from the well to replace the seals? Will switching off the house circuit breaker powering the well pump do the trick?
No that will just keep the pump from pumping more water out of the well.

2. Will the tank completely drain when I take the valve apart to replace the seals?
Yes the tank will drain.

3. Will I lose air pressure from the tank when I take the valve apart?
Depends on the type of tank, ... if it is a bladder tank, then no you will not lose air pressure.

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks