P Trap Extension

Users who are viewing this thread

ttw4454

Reaction score
It appears as though I roughed in my waste outlet too high in my laundry room. Approx 22" above finished floor. I am using a double bowl kitchen sink in this room. The bowls are deep. I attached an end outlet drain attached to a standard P-Trap. These are pvc fittings. Problem is that this is too low. Do they make an extension for the P-Trap? I need to go up about 2-3 inches from the first bend coming down from the tee. Thanks

ttw4454

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. What are my options? Since this is a laundry room it will be mostly used for miscellaneous use (washing paint brushes, hands, etc.) Besides the slow drain will there be any other issues? Also, is such an extension available? Thanks,

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
trap

Deep seal traps do not drain any slower than a regular one, but they usually have to be "created", which often makes them more susceptible to separation and leaking. I would install a "Y", or "double Y" with a cleanout and use two traps instead of the continuous waste.

ttw4454

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm assuming you mean a sch 40 "Y" at the stub out then hook the p-traps from each bowl to the Y. Sounds like this would work well as it looks like the Tee is what is causing it to go too low. Eliminating this would help. The other thing I may look at is new basket strainers. The current ones seem to be abnormally long (3" below sink). I've seen others that only extend approx 2". This alone won't solve my problems but your suggestion with the "Y" would.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm assuming you mean a sch 40 "Y" at the stub out then hook the p-traps from each bowl to the Y. Sounds like this would work well as it looks like the Tee is what is causing it to go too low. Eliminating this would help. The other thing I may look at is new basket strainers. The current ones seem to be abnormally long (3" below sink). I've seen others that only extend approx 2". This alone won't solve my problems but your suggestion with the "Y" would.

Ya I would get the shorter basket strainers. You could also shorten the tail pieces. Like hj said a wye is good but a double wye might be better then put a clean out on the straight or a branch so snaking the paint from the drain would be a lot simpler.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks