Justforcopper..

Users who are viewing this thread

djak

Reaction score
Has anyone used this product. It is a glue used to join copper plumbing instead of soldering the joints. I am putting a basement bath in and it sounds alot easier that sweating the joints. The manufacturers website is justforcopper.com What do you all think?

Thank's

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Seen it used, never used it, and I would not use it, even thou it's approved for use, sure fire way to know your system will be leak free is to solder the joints together.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Do you think you'd sleep OK or would you lay there wondering if you might have a new swimming pool? Sweating copper isn't very hard, and that's a proven way to connect copper. There's an old adage that advises us not to be the first to try something new, but not to be the last. This stuff is too new for me to take a chance on. I'll wait until some "real" plumbers have put it through the wringer before I use it. (Maybe not even then, since sweating is not big deal)

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I noticed on the website it was "tested" at a certain pressure. I did not actually find where it say it is actually approved by any code authority.

Plumber2000

Plumber
Reaction score
Jimbo your probably right, in a CED class it was brought up and the instructor, long time inspector in this are says it can be used, maybe it's a different type of stuff then what is asked about on here.

SeattleSoxFan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
jandmcarpentry.com
Pre-soldered copper?

I've also seen fittings that are pre-coated with solder (and presumably flux?) that might go a step closer to simplifying the sweating process... Though of course I've never used them because sweating a joint is really no sweat -- even for the non-plumber.

I'd say just cut some short pieces and use some cheap fittings and try it out -- you'll find it's easier than you think! Just keep it clean and the rest is pretty easy.

Casman

Reaction score
glue stuff

Website looked interesting, what's the problem with it? Somebody said its junk, sure soldering is time tested and relatively easy, Is it that their testing is suspect? read something about astm and 50 years Says around since 98..Is this really junk cause simulated testing doesn't really work or is it just easier to say soldering is the way to go?

RioHyde

Plumber
Reaction score
Well Casman....do you want to be the first on your block to try it out inside your wall? If so, be my guest. I'll stick with soldering.

Keithdeanne

Reaction score
I have it, I have used it. I do see both advantages and disadvantages to just for copper.
advantage if you can't sweat copper than this product is a god send. Also, if you can't safely sweat a pipe i.e. a joist is too close or you can't get the heat close enough this product works great. My reason for buying it was example two.
disadvantages: if you don't put enough product on both ends when glueing the pipes together IT WILL LEAK, it happend to me first time using it.

If it does leak there is only one way to stop it from leaking cut out that section and replace that section hence more cutting and glueing. You just can't add more bonding agent to the fitting and hope it will seal.
Then there is the drying time.you can't move or touch the fitting after 5 seconds and cant move the area for 8-10 mins PER fitting. so if you have a lot of fittings to do it WILL take you all freaking day long.

with sweating a pipe you can re-heat the pipe to redo the fitting.
This product will bond more than JUST copper. read the instructions to find out exactly what it will bond too.
Like I said I have it and have used it. It works great as long as you follow the instructions. I have a few fittings that I did acctually use it on and they have not leaked in over three years.
:)

Casman

Reaction score
Thats what I was looking for I guess, user info., and No I wouldn't want to be first on the block and actually couldn't be as they claim their product has been in use since 1998, I just wanted to know why some say its junk, and whether the issue was one of real life usage....

mrjetskey

Reaction score
Hey guys we all glue pvc pipe,and it holds,ok I know it softens the pipe and fitting making it one if done correctly,but even done correctly you can cut a pvc collar and take it off of the pipe it was on so in a way it is just glued!!I think the glued copper would be great if you had to place a fitting real close to a valve or stud where heat is a problem.I bet you guys don't figure out your estimates with a pencil you use a calculator or a blackberry.Times change methods change,sometimes its ok to advance and use a new tool or way of doing things.We have been doing that since the cave days why stop now???

PEW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
It may be a very good product, and sounds like it may have some great advantages. However, one thing I have found in life. There is no reason to be the first kid on the block with the newest and greatest, been burned enough times to have learned my lesson. If it is a good product it will have staying power, wait a few years.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
I have used it a few times. All exposed exterior locations. It has worked great and holds up. I just can't bring myself to use it in a client's home. Too much liability.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks