(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pump Cycling

Default Pump Cycling

Hi all. I've recently started experiencing some cycling problems with my system. I had a new well drilled about 10 years ago (4"....old well was 2"). What's happening is when you run water, the pump kicks on about every 15 seconds. It kicks on at 30psi and off at 50psi, but as soon as it kicks off, the pressure drops to 40psi. It does this over and over, as long as the water is running. Sometimes, the water won't we running at all, and it will do it. Also, I've not really noticed a change in pressure at the faucet. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks, Ray

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek Mikey's Avatar

Sounds like a ruptured bladder in the bladder tank, or a waterlogged non-bladder tank. Send back some details on the kind of tank you've got, its age, etc., and one of the real pros will comment.

It was installed when the well was drilled 10 years ago. Gould pump. Tank is an A.O. Smith Aqua-Air Mod. V80EX.

Previous member

It's amazing that A.O Smith tank lasted that long. You might want to replace it soon before it gets that ten year old pump that has outlasted itself also. Seven years is average for a Submersible Pump but with the waterlogged tank, your really trying hard to take it out.

bob...

OK. I'm ready to buy a tank. I looked at the products on the link you provided. What size tank is minimum/recommended. I live in a one story ranch, with 1 bathroom, if it matters. Thanks, Ray

Previous member

Assuming you have a 1/2hp submersible pump, bigger is always better. The largest tank I can ship economically is the PC-144 which is equal to a 120 gallon galvanized tank.

With a Cycle Stop Valve you could easily get by with a PC-66 which is equal to a 42 gallon tank. It would save you $$$ and work much better.

bob...

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    It's amazing that A.O Smith tank lasted that long. You might want to replace it soon before it gets that ten year old pump that has outlasted itself also. Seven years is average for a Submersible Pump
    bob...
    i think you are incorrect in saying this.
    it would seem to me that most sub pumps have a MUCH longer life span than just a mere 7 years.
    Anyone else like to add their two cents on this?

Rancher

Hmmm, lets see:

Dad's well, replaced first pump at about 24 years (1979), I sold the place last year, guy calls me and says well pump went out... I'm thinking he wants money... then he tells me the pump was 28 years old.

They were both Berkeley pumps.

My home well pump has only been replaced because the wire rubbed the casing and shorted, it was 10 years old, but hadn't gone bad.

It was a Sears pump, who ever makes it for Sears.

Rancher

Previous member

It was a Sears pump, who ever makes it for Sears.
    That would be Sta-Rite. One of the many companies bought by Pentair. The pump companies that aren't owned by Pentair are owned by ITT. There are very few independents left out there.

If anybody thinks that one submersible pump is superior to any other; you had better guess again. Everybody talks about Goulds being the top pump. They are owned by ITT and they sponsor a Nascar. That's why they cost more.

bob...

[QUOTE=speedbump;If anybody thinks that one submersible pump is superior to any other; you had better guess again.
    bob...[/QUOTE]
    ************************************************** ********huh!! then why are you claiming that a pump only lasts for 7 years!!!

I would think that some other makes of pumps are VERY superior to others, especially when they have lasted for 15-25 years (and more) in a lot of wells.

Previous member

Your living in the past.

25 years ago pumps were made better.

Do you really think anyone in Corporate America wants any product they Manufacture to last 25 years? You need to get with the times.

bob...

I'm in a position where I work with a number of pump contractors. Most of them like one manufacturer over another, and will give you a million reasons why. I know contractors that will install a Berkeley 4" sub pump, but wouldn't touch a Sta-rite (they come off the same assembly line....the ONLY difference is the sticker).
    I installed A.O. Smith tanks for years. I had very, very few fail, and replaced alot of Starite, Well-X-Trol and Well Mate tanks with them.
    I'm a firm believer that most major manufacturers have pretty good pumps out there. I also believe that alot of pump failures are because the contractor mis-applied the pump. I see alot of warranty requests and when I question the application the pump was in, I have to wonder what the contractor was thinking when he installed it.
    There are a lot of preferances out there when it comes to pumps and associated equipment. Everyone has their favorite. I've even had contractors slam a product, and when I've ask them if they've ever used it, said no!!!
    Anyway.....
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump View Post
    Do you really think anyone in Corporate America wants any product they Manufacture to last 25 years?
    bob...
    Yes, I do. Not every one is a crook
    but then it takes one to know one

Previous member

That's OK, your entitled to your opinion.

Are you an Engineer?

Most people feel the same way. They cannot believe that American corporations would actually design products to fail, instead of last as they should. So the corporate snow job has been very successful!