(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Pressure Switch Adjusted: High Only?

Hybrid View

Default Pressure Switch Adjusted: High Only?

From what I understand the difference between high and low pressure is supposed to be 20 psi. Why is that important, neccessary or whatever?

My switch is factory set at 20psi-40psi. I installed a small 2 gallon tank and set pressure with tank empty at 18 psi.

I set my high cut off pressure at about 48 to 50 psi. Is that a problem?

With it lower the pump cycles to much. I know I should probably get a larger tank, but with the pump in garage there is no room for a large tank.

DIY Senior Member Mike Swearingen's Avatar

If your pump and well will handle 50 psi cut-off, raise the pressure switch cut-on to 30 psi, and air up the pressure tank to 28 psi with a bicycle ump or portable air tank or compressor.
    Good Luck!
    Mike

I agree with Mike. The pump will continue to run instead of turning on an off and the pressure differential won't be noticeable. That's the primary reason for the 20 psi differential, so you don't notice the presure cycle as you will with more than 20 psi difference. Don't forget the 28 psi air pressure with no water in the tank, and go to 30/50 on the switch. If the pump shuts off while you're still using water, then increase the cut-off some. A Cycle Stop Vavle would be a good idea.

www.cyclestopvalves.com.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates
    Last edited by Gary Slusser; 04-08-2005 at 11:18 AM.

Default switch

Ideally, any water you use should come from the tank and the pump's main function is to refill it. With such a small tank it will be depleted almost immediately and then the pump becomes your sole source of water. If you are using as much water as the pump can supply it will run constantly. If you are using less eventually it will start refilling the tank and then shut off at its set pressure, but then restart almost immediately. If your demand is a great deal less than the pump can supply, then it will turn off and on constantly, and eventually burn out the pump or the switch.

But hj, If the pump stays on as he has it setup now, it, the motor, lasts longer due to fewer startups and then is less expensive to operate (less electric) than starting numerous times during water use.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

This 2 gallon tank is (as HJ stated,) too small and will cycle quite frequently when water is demanded.

And ,I agree with Gary, that too much frequent cycling is no good for most pumps.

A larger tank, (maybe a 8 gallon) would be much better than this little 2 gallon.