Ticking noise in my cpvc supply lines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Mad Plumber

Mad Skills
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have a ticking noise in my cpvc supply lines. I know the common answer is rubbing against pipes. the question is my pipes don't run in the wall. they go directing behind washer and I can see them. they don't move at all when the water is on so I don't see how they could be hitting anything else to cause the ticking noise. Although my main concern is not the ticking noise, it's whether or not I need to worry about this. does this mean that my piped could burst or break. do I need to replace them with copper. That's my main concern but I would like to know what's causing the noise. Thank you. Corey

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The ticking noise is normally expansion and contraction where the pipe is held tight.
It doesn't have to be where you can see it. Sound will travel a long ways.
Most of the time, it is a natural sound of the home.
There are ways to install them with plastic clips that help to reduce the ticking.

pipe-insulators.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks