Brittle CPVC

Users who are viewing this thread

maxrandb

Reaction score
My home has CPVC. Snapped off a supply line trying to replace a shutoff valve on them master bathroom.

Fortunately, I shutoff the main line coming into the house before this happened.

Any fixes for this, or am I just stuck with lines that snap if you put a little strain on them with a wrench?

Eman85

Reaction score
I'm not a plumber, but I've done a fair amount. The only place I install CPVC is on the hot water heater T&P valve and the garbage can. CPVC is like glass over time. The good news for a fix is that Sharkbite fittings fit CPVC and allow you to get water capped or repaired. You can mate CPVC to PEX or copper easily then. What you have to do is most likely cut the CPVC with a hacksaw to get a clean cut to use the Sharkbite. I unfortunately have tried to cut old CPVC with a cutter and thought I got a clean cut and installed a Sharkbite for a fix. The CPVC had a barely visible hairline crack, so my fix turned into another leak and another fix. For me Sharkbites are temporary fixes for some they are permanent. No matter for anyone that has indoor plumbing they should have a small assortment of Sharkbite fittings and know how to use them.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
When you cut the CPVC, with a very light sand paper or file, smooth the outer edge of the cut pipe so as not to damage the Sharkbite O ring. Be sure the fitting fully seats.

If there is enough pipe left, cement on a nipple and a short length of pipe. It allows you to work with new pipe when installing the shutoff valve.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
My home has CPVC. Snapped off a supply line trying to replace a shutoff valve on them master bathroom.

Any fixes for this, or am I just stuck with lines that snap if you put a little strain on them with a wrench?

Yeah, brittle CPVC is a thing, particularly on the hot water side.

Your options are two - cut back the broken CPVC as it happens and transition to something else so you can wrench them in the future, or repipe the whole house.

John

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yeah, brittle CPVC is a thing, particularly on the hot water side.

Your options are two - cut back the broken CPVC as it happens and transition to something else so you can wrench them in the future, or repipe the whole house.

John
Yes. Definitely brace the new pipe/tubing so that no force can be applied to the old CPVC if you do work in the future.

I use a fine tooth saw and very light strokes to make any cuts to CPVC then glue on more pipe if we have time, or a sharkbite if we don't have time for glue to cure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks