pipe replacement question...

Users who are viewing this thread

Arashi

Reaction score
Hi, I am new here, and not at all knowlegdable about plumbing. :eek:

That being said I have an issue with correcting a prblem cause by replacing some shower fixtures and installing a new shower surround this past weekend. The problem is that I accidentally cut a pipe and had to try and use a coupling to correct it. Well, that didn't work. It seemed to work through testing, but after a day under pressure a leak developed (after the surround was installed, closing up my access to the pipe).

Now that the direct access is closed up, I have limited space to work with the leaky pipe. it is now all surrounded by wood framing and built-in drawer setups. Trying to resolder the coupling has resulted in more leaks, or "roaming" leaks. The space is so limited that I'm having a hard time getting enough heat to get the solder to flow around to where I can't get the torch (without setting the house ablaze).

What I would like to do is cut the copper pipe further down the line where there is more room, and use a compression fitting that I would then screw on a flexhose (metalbraided pipe thing) to meet up with the central valve.

This would alleviate working with a torch in close quarters and my fears about causeing major damage. My question is, would this work??
Can I use a compression valve on my copper piping that has a flexhose threaded on the other end, that flexhose then threaded onto the main valve?

I thank anyone ahead of time for any help you can provide, again, I know little about this sort of thing.

-Arashi

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You cannot use either a compression fitting nor any kind of flexible lines inside the walls. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this will be sight unseen for 20+ years, and even a little drip can destroy the house in that time.

Arashi

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo, I guess I will have to go with a more labor intensive solution.

thanks again, I appreciate it.