Can't get knobs of stems. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

TigerDriver

Reaction score
Website
www.campbells.org
I need to fix a faucet drips in my shower/tub. I assumed that these faucets take standard neoprene washers.

I removed the screw from each knob, but I can't for the life of me get them off the stems. I've wiggled them; I've tried heating them with a hair dryer; I've even tried to pry them off with a couple of small wrecking bars (I stopped prying when I thought I was in danger of cracking a tile).

Is there something special about these fixtures (click here for photo)? Any suggestions about how to get the knobs off.

Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Buy a handle puller for $10.00 at the hardware store. They'll come off in ten seconds.

While you're at it buy some plumbing sockets for those stems.

Attachments

• Handle Puller.jpg
    Handle Puller.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 411
  • Plumbing Sockets.jpg
    Plumbing Sockets.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 404

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
There's also some magical loosener-upper called PB Blaster or something like that that's been highly recommended for situations like this. Available in any auto parts outlet. Works.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm not sure that this is the right application for PB Blaster, since the handle puller is made exclusively to pull handles. And it works everytime.

The PB Blaster may or may not loosen them up. But it will definitely stink up the bathroom.:eek:

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
I agree he needs the puller, but I squirt some of this stuff on stuck parts whether or not I've got fancy tools. Smells even better than WD-40 in the morning...

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
You guys must have a rare sense of smell. I've had customers complain to me for a week after I sprayed that stuff indoors.

BTW, was it a "good" handle puller that broke or a cheapie?

TigerDriver

Reaction score
Website
www.campbells.org
Buy a handle puller for $10.00 at the hardware store. They'll come off in ten seconds.

While you're at it buy some plumbing sockets for those stems.

Bought both puller and sockets. Like you said, the puller yanked 'em off in seconds, and the sockets made quick work of extracting the stems.

Thanks for fast/good advice.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
You guys must have a rare sense of smell. I've had customers complain to me for a week after I sprayed that stuff indoors.

BTW, was it a "good" handle puller that broke or a cheapie?

They were the same as in that pic. Then again I bought them at the HomeCheapo, so not good by default.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the best is the "Big Yank Senior." I think the major difference is the center rod that goes through the screw hole. If that rod is too thin, it will bend.

Of course, if the handle is really fused on, there's always the tried and true method of using a channel locks to snap off the handle with the top part of the stem.

Last edited:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I wish they'd make one with real tool steel so the angled grabbers don't bend on a hard-to-remove handle. I've got one that's essentially a sliding hammer, like a body repairman's puller, and that's good for yanking the faucet loose in the wall.

I've got a couple of relatively new ones, and one came with a ferrule puller, which was a good bonus since my tool box with the ferrule puller had been stolen.

And you don't have to break the end off the stem - you can drill out the center. Your way may be faster, though.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
a sliding hammer, like a body repairman's puller, and that's good for yanking the faucet loose in the wall.

BBB025.jpg

I've had much good luck with this...always use Free-All lubricant minutes before to help release the splines from the pot metal handles. I always put plumber's grease on the splines/holding screw in any rebuild.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Of course nobody suggested a seat wrench set to pull out the old corroded seats that chewed up the washer... Next time soon!

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Of course nobody suggested a seat wrench set to pull out the old corroded seats that chewed up the washer... Next time soon!
I'm sure you know that washers don't always get chewed up. They usually just get flattened down to the point where they start to leak.

Just figured, he was spending enough money as it was. If it still leaked after rebuilding/replacing the valve stems, I would've had him buy a set of seat wrenches.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks