Low water pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

GotCoffee

Reaction score
We have new well, dug June this year. We have had low water pressure the whole time. I adjusted the pressure switch a little but don't know what the safe limit is. Can I adjust the setting to higher pressure without any ill affects? Our house has 3 kids, two are teenagers, 2 full baths, dishwasher, clothes washer... Water pressure is not affected by toilet flushing in master bathroom but has some affect at second bathroom which is at other end of house. Water comes in near master bedroom

It's a new house with the well about 30' away.

Top of well is 2.5" pvc (outside diameter) to the pump. From the pump to tank and house is 1" pvc.

Our system:
1/2 hp myers hr50d (Myers pentair Water)
Tank is WellMate WM6

Tag on well is 10gpm
45ft with screen at 40 ft.

I live near Fayetteville, NC and am using a 60 bulb in metal reflector aimed at pump. The pump house cover is one of those basic plasic white ones with foam insulation on inside. Should I go with heat tapes or will this be enough?

Thanks,
Ray

R

Rancher

Ray, ... huh, what's the question:

1. Can you adjust the pressure to a higher pressure, sure, try it if you pump can provide the higher pressure.

2. Do you need more insulation or insulation, or heat tape, ... probably not, but that's a guess.

Not sure what water treatment has to do with all this.

Rancher

R

Rancher

We have new well, dug June this year. We have had low water pressure the whole time. I adjusted the pressure switch a little but don't know what the safe limit is.
If you had clogged water filters you wouldn't have had the low water pressure the entire time.

Rancher

Sammyhydro11

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have seen plenty of instances where a new well was installed and they produced silt that constantly plugged a cartridge filter. They might even have a valve that was partialy closed durring the install. Adjusting the pressure at the switch will only give them a little more tank pressure. Adjusting the pressure switch will not cause that pump to put out more water.

GotCoffee

Reaction score
No water treatment/filters, no insulation. Water is the clearest I have ever seen, always been on city water until now. When we first moved in the pump was turning on/off a few times a minute. Another plumber came out and adjusted air pressure in tank... think he let some out. I don't have a pressure gauge so don't know what pressure is.

I read somewhere to do a flow rate test. Draw water at the spigot between pump and tank, wait for pump to shut off. Draw water till the pump turns on and wait to pump turns off... keep going till a minute elapses so we got flow rate per minute. Don't know if that info will help?

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm not sure what your assessment of low pressure consists of, but a 1/2hp Myers isn't going to be a butt kicker anyway. Especially on a two inch well. I assume it's a shallow well hookup since you said the line is 1", you didn't mention a second one.

If you get a working gauge on this pump, watch it while you open a faucet wide open, if the pump drops to it's turn on pressure and continues to drop in pressure after the pump starts, turning the switch up isn't going to help anything. The pump simply can't keep up.

bob...

IMTONY

Reaction score
Try this,
1. If the problem is limited to a fixture, try unscrewing any in-line device, such as a faucet aerator or showerhead, by hand or with pliers, and rinsing off or replacing clogged or corroded screens and parts on an in-line device such as a faucet aerator or showerhead.
2. If the problem is that the supply lines feeding a branch (say, in an addition) are too small, increase their pipe size.
3. If the problem is inadequate flow to the entire house, as might occur when you add new fixtures to an existing system, increase the size of the main supply pipe from the water meter to the house.
4. If the problem is inadequate pressure--for example, at the end of a municipal system or from a well located downhill--install a booster pump.