Proper Dryer Duct Materail

Users who are viewing this thread

Chefwong

Reaction score
What is the correct/preferred dryer duct material.
Local HD has the rigid snaplock duct in stock.....it's alum duct that is flatn stock that get's snap locked down the center.

Is this common for ductwork or do they make a 4" rigid duct that is solid throughout...

Mastic or Duct Tape for Dryer Ducting connections ?

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
chefwong said:
What is the correct/preferred dryer duct material.
Local HD has the rigid snaplock duct in stock.....it's alum duct that is flatn stock that get's snap locked down the center.

Is this common for ductwork or do they make a 4" rigid duct that is solid throughout...

Mastic or Duct Tape for Dryer Ducting connections ?

You want the duct that is very much like what you are saying. Looks just like smoke pipe, but not as strong as smoke pipe. The tape you want is aluminum tape it has a plastic backing you peal off then stick it to the pipe.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Except for short flex section to make connection to the machine, codes require dryer duct to be smooth on the inside, and NO SCREW used to hold sections together. Aluminum tape is good.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I tend to use a smoke pipe 90 to connect to the dryer. I pipe it up push the machine back into place then up and out the sill.

JeffH

Reaction score
While you're at it...

install a clean out, which I think they also carry at HD. It will make life easier in the long run.

Chefwong

Reaction score
Thanks guys. My current dryer duct I made is of the same material - but this was done years ago .

I plan to redo it with one less *corner* run however, the room where the dryer is --- there is microlint-dust in this room. I suspect it's not sealed 100%but I'm n ot sure if it is whether it is stemming on the *snaplock* down the center of the duct or is it where they connect themselves. As each duct is not too long - theyre about 3 foot long connected by duct tape.

I suppose there is a possibilty it's leaking from the seams-connection point of each duct.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
When duct tape get old and worn from being on something hot it starts to fall off. I would bet that is the problem

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks