Help with bath spout

Users who are viewing this thread

gordow

Reaction score
i have client that i'm working with that i'm trying to find a solution for ,,
he's had a stroke and finds it very difficult to pull up on the shower diverter on his bath spout as he has very little power in his hands.

he wants me to find a spout that would allow him to attach a hand held shower to , which i can find with no problem at home depot etc ,, the problem is , that all have the pull up diverter in them.

has anyone heard of a diverter that is maybe a push button type ,, or have any ideas as to solve this problem??

he can't stand when he showers , so a diverter at the shower head won't work either ,, he has to sit on a tub bench to shower.

is there anything that i can attach to the pipe that the spout normally attaches to that i then can attach the shower to??

thanks for any help that you can give me.
Gord

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I have seen a tub spout that has a 1/4 turn knob. Like a ball valve. I don't know who makes it but I bet if you try a real supply house you will find what you need.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Why not fashion some sort of spacer to keep the diverter in the up position all the time. Or you can try wrapping the diverter with plastic tape to keep it from going down.

I'm curious, If he doesn't have the strength to pull up a diverter, how is he able to open the valves for hot and cold?

Last edited:

gordow

Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
Why not fashion some sort of spacer to keep the diverter in the up position all the time. Or you can try wrapping the diverter with plastic tape to keep it from going down.

I'm curious, If he doesn't have the strength to pull up a diverter, how is he able to open the valves for hot and cold?

he has more strength in one hand than the other ,,, he turns on the water to adjust it while he balances himself , when he gets the temp ok he sits down ,, at that time is when he has the problem ,, he has to get himself set before turning the shower on .

its also one of the faucets that is a one handle affair that you move from left to right to adjust the temp and then pull towards you to turn on ,, it's very smooth compared to try and pull up on the diverter.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If the diverter is hard to pull without the water running then the diverter needs to be replaced.

If the diverter is hard to pull up only when the water is on he could get the water up to temp, turn it off for a second, while it is off pull up and hold the diverter and with the other hand turn the water back on and the pressure will hold it.

You didn't mention if he is able to use both hands at the same time

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on the brand, he may be able to replace the cartridge and trim to get a temperature controlled valve. Then, all he has to do is change the volume. Much quicker and safer. I love mine...rarely touch the temperature setting.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks