Drain Pan Question

Users who are viewing this thread

campmi

Reaction score
In a few months I'm planning on installing a new master bath steam shower with a steam generator. I'm trying to think thru some of the pre work prior to the full remodel. In trying to figure out where to put the steam generator I need some clarification on what the drain needs to do for the overflow. I invision the drain for the drain pan similar to a washing machine drain. With a stand pipe, p-trap, drain run on angle with vent. Here are my questions.

1) Overall what is a typical design for a drain pan drain.

2) If the drain pan is never or hardly ever used. How do you keep water in the p-trap?

3) Won't gases come out of the pipe if the drain is never used?

4) What size pipe do I need to use for the drain?

I may have some other questions as I decided where to put the drain pan but right now this has me confused.

Thanks!!

Last edited:

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
You are looking to put a pan for the steam unit?
Usually with residential units a condensate line is not required as the size of the unit does not produce enough.
On larger units i've seen people pipe it back into the shower under another steam head.
Here is plumbing instructions for a staem unit.

http://www.steamist.com/Downloads/pdf2/229-F.pdf

TMB9862

Reaction score
I'd love to here an answer to this, I have the same question about what the right way to do it is.
I've always seen a trap put in the wall and some kind of drain line from the unit (copper, PVC, etc) dropped right into the trap with no sort of connection. I've asked about gasses coming back up and what happens if a unit failure lets constant flow through that line without getting an answer yet.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
washing machine drain pan

that size drain pan would work best....

usually to avoid putting a trap in the system, when they are installed on the second floor, they are ran down to the basement or crawl space....

and dropped into the sump pump or just into the crawl space gravel......

With a Steam machine

you can either run it into the sewer and put a trap
in the line...

its no different than a basement floor drain that get very little water in it....

all you have to do is occasionally pour some water in it
every month or two...

or you can just drop it into the cralw space like a condensate line

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks