grey schedule 80 pvc

Users who are viewing this thread

Peevee

Reaction score
I repaired a 2" service line today schedule 80 pressure. I primered the ends and coupling and waited about 20 minutes and it blew right apart. How long do you usually let something like this dry before testing. I redone everything and talked the guy into letting it dry overnight. Hopefully this doesn't happen again in the morning. I am using Oatey heavy duty grey cement.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You need to read the direction on the can. For the heavy cement, and a 2" pipe, I'm guessing they spec. more than 20 minutes. What pressure did you apply at the time??

BAPlumber

Plumber
Reaction score
I like to use Christie's Red Hot. depending on the temperature I wait about 30 min. and don't slam on the water. if the temp. is below, say 50F I'd wait at least an hour, freezing, 24 hours. Old cement doesn't work well. I've also found that if you bevel the pipe you will have better success, i'm assuming you ream.

I've used Oatey's heavy duty grey and was impressed with it.

Markts30

Commercial Plumber
Reaction score
toolaholic said:
Grey is for electrical,and uses a different solvent.
Not true - some grey is for conduit....
Other grey is for water - usually I give it a couple hours to set up - the red hot and "rain or shine" I only give 15 or so minutes...

Peanut9199

Customer Service Manager Plumbing Wholesale
Reaction score
I just installed Sch40 this weekend and it syas to let set for 3 hours, so i would guess it depends on the solvent.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
pvc

Sch. 80 PVC is grey, but it also takes longer to set up than Sch. 40. Electricians use the same glue as plumbers. and if they use primer it is also the same as plumber's primer.

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
As a Gen. Contr. We also do our own Elec. Elec pvc is grey sch. 40 or 80.

We use the grey primer Made for this application .Are You saying there are 2 types , Water and elec.? I was told never to use grey for portable water

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just to be sure, you said you primed both the pipe and couplings, but you never said anything about glue. Maybe it's just a given that you glued them after you primed them. But After 11 years of working at a plumbing shop, I have seen it all and just have to ask.

Mattbee24

In the Trades
Reaction score
Toolaholic,
There is both schedule 80 pvc and cpvc that is used for plumbing. Both are grey. Though they are mostly used in commercial applications.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks