Washing machine shutoff valve help

Users who are viewing this thread

mnevar

Reaction score
I'm replacing my 2 hose-bib style valves with a single lever ball valve.
I went to my local plumbing store and I got an Oatey model that came with an enclosure to handle the drain as well. I asked for one with sweat fittings. When I got home and opened it up, the fittings for the supply lines are male threaded. The box says sweat and their website image for the same model also shows threads on the supply lines. I can see that the threads are used to connect the valve to the enclosure, but am I really supposed to sweat a union onto those threads? I've never heard of such a thing.

Thanks for any help.
Mark

Deb

Plumber
Reaction score
Deb

No, you are not expected to sweat a union onto the threads. These are generally made so that you can use either an IPS fitting or sweat to copper pipe.....
The copper goes inside the threaded brass--that is the hub of your fitting.
Deb
The Pipewench

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
washerbox.jpg
The threads are only to secure the valve into the box. The pipe slips inside and is to be soldered. Jimbo​

Jimbo is right about this. The threads on these are straight, not tapered. Using a Female Adapter on this type of thread will cause problems later.
These are sweat on (solder) only. Terry

Last edited by a moderator:

mnevar

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. of course, now it seems so obvious!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks