Leak in drain, under slab

Users who are viewing this thread

HDFAN1

Reaction score
In the last three months, I have had my foundation repaired,( $13500. Ouch.)
which tore some plumbing loose.

Readers Digest version; Have repaired three MAJOR leaks under slab repaired so far. $3500.00 Ouch again.
When plumber did the leak test the first times, before all the leaks were fixed, when watching the water level in the toilet drain, it would come about 9 inches from the floor level of the slab, and that was all. No matter how many faucets were on full blast.

After much isolating & testing, I thought we got the last leak repaired last week.

But, as my luck goes, there is still a leak. Somewhere. But it is a very small leak compared to the first three. The water level came right up to floor level, and appeared to be staying there. However, after 15 minutes, it had dropped about 6-8 inches down from floor level in the closet bend.

The house is 30years old with cast iron plumbing for the drains.

My question is, is this leak anything to be concerned about? The two companies I have had out to do the repairs are both saying not to worry about it. That the system will not leak enough under normal use to ever cause me any problems.
I WANT TO BELIEVE THAT!

What do the experts here think?

HDFAN1

Reaction score
Thats what I was afraid someone was gonna say.:(

They are telling me that any house 30 yrs old with cast iron pipes is gonna have some losses under pressure. I don't know.

I'm already getting WAY into my remodel money, and while deep down I want to fix ALL the leaks, I think I may just have to take my chances with this one. Not my first choice, but may be my only choice in my present situation.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just curious why you didn't get all your plumbing redone and upgraded while you were doing the foundation work. Probably wouldn't have cost any more than all these repairs are costing you now.

HDFAN1

Reaction score
Verdeboy said:
Just curious why you didn't get all your plumbing redone and upgraded while you were doing the foundation work. Probably wouldn't have cost any more than all these repairs are costing you now.

??????????????? Huh?????????????????????

Didn't have any plumbing problems prior to the foundation being raised between 2 & 5 inches.

And if I did, I don't see how it would be any cheaper to have it done during foundation repair. None of the leaks were within six feet of the spots where they jackhammered through my floor to install the piers, nor were they near the perimeter of the slab where piers were installed. And to tunnel under the slab, they charge $300 per foot. Adds up pretty fast.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks