New tub in basement help needed..got photos!

Users who are viewing this thread

Cruiser

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to remodel my basement bathroom and have included a photo below to show you the guys what the current situation is as regards drains etc. In the photo you can see the main stack as it goes through slab, the main vent is the white to the left and the galvanised brown to the right is the drain from the sink.

I want to install a tub/shower combo (none there right now) and my problem is how/where to rough in the drain without the need to take up the slab:)
The red grate in the foreground is a floor drain that appears to have been installed in recent years(i've beeen here two years).

I tried a little experiment by lifting up the grate and pouring some water down. There was standing water down in the pipe when I lifted the grate and the water level came up a little bit as I poured but then returned to where it was when i stop pouring. I'm thinking this means there's a 'p' trap linked into the main stack below the slab.

So my thoughts are

1) I can't drain new tub via sink waste because the bath tub drain would be below the sink stubout level and water won't flow uphill:)

2) I could build a raised platform to sit the tub and let gravity help but this would reduce head height in a basement bathroom, not something I want to do.

3) If that is a 'p' trap in the floor drain can i drain the tub straight in there(still venting to the white vent)??

4) Maybe I shoulda bought a new house:)

Ideas anyone:confused:

Thanks

M

Attachments

• drain layout.jpg
    drain layout.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 318

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
yes, P trap in a floor drain. Btw, have you found any small piping that you can't account for where it goes? Near the toilet or sink. That might be a "trap primer" which is a good thing to have.

I'd leave the floor drain and make it part of the new bathroom, as a matter of safety and convenience. A more beautiful drain cover would make all the difference.

Where to put your tub? Where to attach its drain to? I don't know. Btw, I see more pipes than the two you mentioned.

David

Cruiser

Reaction score
David,

Thanks for your reply. The other pipe you see coming from the left of picturs is the drain from where the washing machine was and the old galv is the old supply line to the sink.

My preference is to leave the floor drain as a floor drain,however if I don't find another option then I may need to use it. Do you think it would do the job?

Martin

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
tub

The large black pipe is the main drain. The small white one is the floor drain vent, and the brown one is too small to be a drain for anything. Regardless of where you put the tub, you are going to have to break some concrete floor.

Cruiser

Reaction score
hj,

Hi, I had identified the pipes in my first paragraph and believe it or not the small brown galv is the drain for the sink (look at it come out of the trap under the sink at top right of photo). I couldn't believe it either:)

I guess I'm back to the question can I use the floor drain as the tub drain as it apparently has a 'p' trap.

Thanks to all

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks