(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New product idea?

Default New product idea?

Since we got this modular house, we've been having to call a rooter service about every 8 months to open up the main drain. So the last time it happened, we had them use a camera to see what the heck was going on. They discovered that there was one place where the main line leaves the house, that was almost totally clogged with grease.

Apparently the kitchen sink goes to the main line that leaves the house and at that point, the main line meets with a line from the last bathroom before that and the cold water must be hardening the grease at the point where those lines meet.

Since then we've been pouring a capful of this enzyme bacteria liquid down all the toilets and sinks every couple of months to try to prevent that from happening again.

But I had this idea.

We've all seen those 1000 flushes things that you put inside the toilet.

What if they made something like that with enzymes and bacteria in it, so that every toilet flush released a little of it into the water?

Or does anyone make anything like that already?

Melissa
    Colorado Process Servers
    http://www.ColoradoProcessServers.net
    Last edited by Melissa2007B; 07-24-2007 at 04:09 PM.

There are garbage disposals that release enzymes. It'd do the same thing as you propose if you happen to use a garbage disposal frequently. As an alternative, running a dishwasher regularly usually keeps the grease at bay because it dumps a lot of hot soapy water.

Quote Originally Posted by CHH
    There are garbage disposals that release enzymes. It'd do the same thing as you propose if you happen to use a garbage disposal frequently. As an alternative, running a dishwasher regularly usually keeps the grease at bay because it dumps a lot of hot soapy water.
    I bet people would buy it, if someone made a bar for inside each toilet tank that did that.
    Melissa
    Denver Process Servers
    http://DenverProcessServers.net/

You are wasting time and money flushing any type of Bio-Clean or enzyme as flushing it - tends to do just that. It is carried away to fast to work.

Quote Originally Posted by palmstate
    You are wasting time and money flushing any type of Bio-Clean or enzyme as flushing it - tends to do just that. It is carried away to fast to work.
    But isn't that what the makers recommend?

Last edited by Terry; 01-16-2008 at 04:50 PM.
    Melissa
    Denver Process Servers

there are auto injection systems that can be set up under a sink. I worked for a rooter company for awhile and they leased the units to the customer and then charged for the refills every 3 months or so.
    Brent

You're not supposed to be putting that much grease down a drain! And if you are flushing grease with hot water, that is a receipe for disaster, because it only gets so far before the line cools and the grease hardens.

I would not suggest to people that putting an enzyme feed on the drain is a subsitute for proper use of the plumbing!

Not trying to be smart here Melissa but don't you wonder if the grease is stuffing up your plumbing as such what the heck it is doing to your arteries? Just a suggestion in reducing the useage of the grease? Olive oil is much better to use for most things.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa2007B
    What if they made something like that with enzymes and bacteria in it, so that every toilet flush released a little of it into the water?
    Just a few months too late.

The new Fluidmaster Septic Tank Care System..

Let the grease harden, and throw it in the trash
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.

The septic products are likely ALL Bollocks.
    I read an entire book on septic tanks and issues before installing my
    concrete tank last summer.

I've also gotten great advice from pros here for 2 years. (emphasis on "The Pros")

That being said...if I had one piece of advice it's very simple:

TRY NOT TO PUT ANYTHING DOWN THE DRAIN UNLESS YOU'VE RUN IT THROUGH YOUR BODY FIRST.

Save your money---our bodies are Bacteria factories. Why complicate
    things.

I save/freeze all fat and by products---it makes delicious dog food.

Mike

Mike, I got to ask the question I know everyone is wondering...
    how do you know this?

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    You're not supposed to be putting that much grease down a drain! And if you are flushing grease with hot water, that is a receipe for disaster, because it only gets so far before the line cools and the grease hardens.

I would not suggest to people that putting an enzyme feed on the drain is a subsitute for proper use of the plumbing!
    We're not putting that much grease down it, just regular garbage disposal stuff. But it's been clogging like I said, about every 7-8 months.

This time, after 2 attempts by others, the third company came along and used the camera and when they saw the clog, pulsed it out with a special water jet, which completely cleared it.

I have no idea why it does it though.
    Melissa
    Denver Process Servers

Quote Originally Posted by Cookie
    Not trying to be smart here Melissa but don't you wonder if the grease is stuffing up your plumbing as such what the heck it is doing to your arteries? Just a suggestion in reducing the useage of the grease? Olive oil is much better to use for most things.
    Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. We don't use "grease" in foods, this is all just stuff that the garbage disposal grinds up, maybe that's helping cause it.
    Melissa
    Denver Process Servers

Quote Originally Posted by Mike50
    The septic products are likely ALL Bollocks.
    I read an entire book on septic tanks and issues before installing my
    concrete tank last summer.

I've also gotten great advice from pros here for 2 years. (emphasis on "The Pros")

That being said...if I had one piece of advice it's very simple:

TRY NOT TO PUT ANYTHING DOWN THE DRAIN UNLESS YOU'VE RUN IT THROUGH YOUR BODY FIRST.

Save your money---our bodies are Bacteria factories. Why complicate
    things.

I save/freeze all fat and by products---it makes delicious dog food.

Mike
    I like the standard for what is and isn't considered drain compatible. Although, in terms of drainage, if you aren't on a septic, and you don't care what your putting into your municipal system, bacteria is irrelevant. Movement or Drainage of matter is. Whether it's a bean seed full of bacteria or a large grain of sand, the ability for it to be washed downstream is the concern in this instance. Grease ain't good, and alot of other things that drain "easy" aren't good either. They don't just disappear. A local municipality is concerned about their well supplyed water because of it's downstream location of the municipal sewer plant.
    "Any American who is prepared to run for President should automatically, by definition, be disqualified from ever doing so."
    Gore Vidal.