CPVC expansion

Users who are viewing this thread

Prashster

Reaction score
I've chosen to do the plumbing to a bar sink with 1/2" CPVC. Is there some expansion /contraction issue I should be aware of when running and strapping the lines?
-

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
The linear thermal expansion rate for CPVC is approximately 1/2 inch for each 10 degrees Fahrenheit temperature change for each 100 feet of tubing.

Putting offsets in the piping and slight gapping the straps will help....but that piping will look horrible in a short span of time. It bends and sags, gets brittle. GOOD LUCK

Prashster

Reaction score
It's a short run about 10 feet. Soldering was not an option. Could have PEX'd it, but CPVC seemed the easiest. Seriously, is CPVC really bad? In the neighboring town, they plumb entire houses with it.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
No, CPVC is not bad. As you stated above, in my area houses and some commercial are piped with CPVC.

It may help if you post you're location. I've found that very common setups here in S. Florida are frowned upon or outright forbiden in other parts of the country. So I'll revise my original statement: No, CPVC is not bad in S. Florida.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
FLorida, dunno if your a plumber, but I was told by a plumber from FLA that copper is against code in some area's there...due to the mineral content...no?

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
GrumpyPlumber said:
FLorida, dunno if your a plumber, but I was told by a plumber from FLA that copper is against code in some area's there...due to the mineral content...no?

Yes. The city I live in Strongly recommends against copper in residential. The next town over does not. There is a steeady amount of work in Cape Coral just doing residential repipes due to failing copper. Most of these houses are less than 20 years old. Anything over 25 is working on borrowed time.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
prashster said:
It's a short run about 10 feet. Soldering was not an option. Could have pex'd it, but cpvc seemed the easiest. Seriously, is cpvc really bad? In the neighboring town, they plumb entire houses with it.

My statements stem straight from being a service plumber that has to deal with numerous types of piping systems. Being in that mix daily allows me to see what is good bad and indifferent.

I'll admit to heavy bias against CPVC because the reasons it is replacing copper in my area is solely price. Price because it's so easy a caveman can do it and price because it's 4 times cheaper than copper.

That product "if disturbed" years down the road is brittle.....that's a fact. Nothing worse than replacing a water heater and I'm dealing with a system of fittings over sections of pipe, try to be careful and the **** breaks at a tee or short piece between fittings. Now I'm expanding the work detail without choice.

Copper is far more forgiving, durable and took skill to install. It's not really worth the debate as too often the people that support it (CPVC), don't have to deal with it when it breaks like I do.

The laundry tub faucet I installed yesterday had copper water lines that were 52 years old, not one sign of deterioration, no buildup on the inside walls of the pipe. I've pulled out CPVC already that had a black film that I have no clue what it was.....but the people weren't sick so that was a good thing.

So in my specific area of northern kentucky, copper is the best product. CPVC is taking over in new construction and the homeowners are concerned as the product looks horrible no matter how many ways you support it. The inspectors told me that 3' is the rule for support and when I mentioned a shorter distance...they said you can't, it grows/contracts too much to do that which would bring on another set of problems.

Go to replace an angle stop on CPVC that is 10+ years old and see how much fun it is when you bust that pipe off back to a tee, between two studs, and you was being careful when you was cutting it. I've been there and the customer is understanding IF you tell them ahead of time the characteristics of the piping and what to expect when dealing with the aged product.

In Pompano beach florida I'm told copper is fine in those homes and no problems whatsoever. The family I know down there worked for Balisteri Realty and never once mentioned copper failures in that area. I do know that certain areas in FLA has water issues......that's all it is. It's the water, not the piping that is to blame. Why don't they make a effort to protect the community from deteriorating piping systems when they can address the problem at the plant? That's all it is and the turn down costs tons to fix. I'm sure it costs bunches to treat the water as well, I'm sure.

FloridaOrange

Plumbing Designer
Reaction score
The problem with copper down here is definitely region specific. You can still find some literature on tests the copper mfr's did some years back. Google Cape Coral Florida copper water pipe deterioration.

I'd prefer copper in my house but not with a guarantee to leak within years.

Prashster

Reaction score
This is why I love this forum. Thanks for all the info.
Rugged, I sincerely respect yr experience. I'm going to take my chances wit the cpvc. The lines are accessible and easy to monitor. If I have a problem in a couple years, shutting off and replumbing won't be the end of the world for me. Thanks.

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
RUGGED said:
The linear thermal expansion rate for CPVC is approximately 1/2 inch for each 10 degrees Fahrenheit temperature change for each 100 feet of tubing.

Putting offsets in the piping and slight gapping the straps will help....but that piping will look horrible in a short span of time. It bends and sags, gets brittle. GOOD LUCK

I had to do a double-take.....PVC expands 3/8" for 10' @ 100 degree's temp difference and CPVC is relatively the same...the math comes out very close ...technically we're s'posed to add an expansion coupling or loop every 20 feet ...nobody does...never seen an inspector call it either.
One way to look it at....when using copper it's recommended to use plastic hangers (mickey mouse clips) to avoid ticking/creaking on hot lines...CPVC is already plastic..it's soft, mallable...look on FlowguardGold's website....they explain it...also they offer a comparison chart on the advantages to copper.
RUGGED...I sowy...don't hate me buddy!
I know ya like da copper

GrumpyPlumber

Licensed Grump
Reaction score
...Though I DO admit...I don't get ANY repair/service work with CPVC....just made code in my state a couple of years ago...just keepin' it honest here.
I WILL admit to having purchased HD's CPVC and getting Flowguard...there is a BIG difference...flowguard seems more "rubbery" for lack of a better term.
I've had the HD stuff crack/break just trying to cut it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks