Toilet Too Far From Wall

Users who are viewing this thread

Schook

Reaction score
We are having the bathroom in our old house remodeled. We asked the contractor to install a new Toto toilet in a different location in the bathroom. He said it would be no problem. But now it's installed and is six inches (!) away from the wall. It looks terrible, but he says there's nothing that can be done about it because of something do with the floor joists. While it seems clear that he screwed up, I guess the bigger question is what, if anything, can be done about this now? Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I simply don't know enough to know whether this guy's just trying to avoid the cost of repairing the problem.

Thanks!

Xenomorph

Reaction score
Wow, I would have thought that he would have explained the situation and cleared it with you before doing any work on that toilet rough-in. I can't say whether the install was done incorrectly without seeing pictures because maybe he was telling the truth that he could not install on the other side of the joist without destroying it. The only thing that comes to mind is to use a toilet that utilises a uni-fit rough-in flange that would take off 2 inches...but you would still be stuck with a 4 inch gap...which is pretty ugly. Maybe build some shelving around the toilet tank and hide the gap?

Anyone else got any ideas?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks