(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Replacing closet flange, twist and set or glue on

Default Replacing closet flange, twist and set or glue on

2nd story bath, old flange cut off already. Should I use another glue on and replace the elbow or just use one of the twist-n-fit flanges that goes inside the 4" drain? I have used the ABS twist and set on another bathroom 4 yrs ago but my plumber is saying glue on is better?? I am tiling the floor so it seemed better to me to have the twist set on the inside of the drain so I can adjust it to the top of the tile floor. It's a non-pressure system so I can't see the advantage of the glue on?

Any suggestions?

Don't make more work for yourself unnecessarily. It will not improve the quality of the finished job.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You do want the flange attached firmly to the floor, especially so with a clamp on drain. To make things easier on yourself, notch the tile so you don't have to drill through them when getting ready to install the thing. Don't skimp on the screws.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua
    You do want the flange attached firmly to the floor, especially so with a clamp on drain. To make things easier on yourself, notch the tile so you don't have to drill through them when getting ready to install the thing. Don't skimp on the screws.
    Just to build on this....

Put the flange in place temporarily (perhaps upside down) and mark the screw locations so you can cut the tile around them. Use #14 stainless or brass screws.

Thanks, that's what I will do. I did one like this 4 years ago with no issues. I did not drill into the tile. Since I did not know how high the finished floor would be I left the drain alone and had it tiled around it. I then made a spacer 1/2" plywood that fit around the drain and then I could insert the oatly twist set into the drain and it was about 1/8" above the level the tile. I used #12 stainless screws to secure the flange to the new floor. That's what I was planning to do this time.

The only reason I was thinking of a glue on is I need to replace a large section of subfloor in the other bathroom so I will have total access to the flange and elbow.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

If you have total access, glue a new one one, but still screw it to the floor. Put the tile under it so it is firm.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014