(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Submersable pump blues

Default Submersable pump blues

Hello, i have a problem i need help with. I'm having a pump issue. I pulled my well pump, cleaned it and turned it on with just the pump in the water and it pumped fine. I put all the pvc pipe back on it, about 50 feet down and turned it back on and nothing. I noticed that the wires are put together in one spot with wire nuts. They are under water, will this cause a problem? I'm lost, i'm not a plumber at all.
    Also does any one know how deep a 1/2 h.p. jet pump will pull? I have one that i was going to replace the submersable pump with but not sure if it will work as well or not. I'm guessing my well in around 50 to 70 feet deep and the house is about 30 yards from the well. Is this a good idea or a waste of time?

Wire nuts under water??Ask yourself this,"is it ok to drop a hair dryer in the bath tub while its running?" You need an electrical water proof heat shrink kit for that connection.That wire nut set up is bad news. I would stick with the submersible pump idea,just get it wired right.

SAM

Thank you !!

DIY scratch-pad engineer leejosepho's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nascar fan
    Hello, i have a problem i need help with. I'm having a pump issue. I pulled my well pump, cleaned it and turned it on with just the pump in the water and it pumped fine.
    What was it doing, or what was the issue before you pulled it?

I noticed that the wires are put together in one spot with wire nuts. They are under water, will this cause a problem?
    Is that how the connections were before you pulled the pump? And if so, was there any evidence of something like at least a little silicone or anything else somebody had used to try to seal those connections? If so, that might confirm the cause of your problem before you might have to pull your pump once again.

Rancher

Also does any one know how deep a 1/2 h.p. jet pump will pull? I have one that i was going to replace the submersable pump with but not sure if it will work as well or not.
    A shallow well jet will pull about 25 feet.

Rancher

A jet pump will NEVER work as well as a submersible pump that is properly matched to the well and the demand. If the well is big enough for a submersible, that is the correct choice.

The submersible is probably twice as efficient (half as much power for the same delivery of water), never needs primed, is not marginal on pressure, and is quieter.

I agree with bob. Stick with the submersible pump.

SAM