Water pressure regulator and tight spaces

Users who are viewing this thread

aben

Reaction score
This post is a followup to an earlier post that I made re the installation of a water pressure reducing valve. I've got a Watts Series 25AUB valve that I am planning on installing along with a expansion tank that was recommended by Deb; I got off my butt and searched the forum postings for more info about the expansion tank and decided I would go ahead and install it with the prv.

However, I still need some advice about the installation of the PRV. I'm going to be installing the PRV after it enters the house, but have run into a problem with the water line and the floor joists. The line runs perpendicular to the joists (the pipe, not surprisingly, is hung from the joists) and the clearance from the bottom of the joists to the top of the floor boards is not enough to accomodate the prv. The plumbing supply store recommended getting a couple of elbows and simply adding a "U" shaped" drop in the line to accomodate the prv - the prv would sit at the bottom of the "U." My question is whether or not I couldn't simply have the valve sit on the main lane as it is and have it oriented so that the adjustable screw points downwards; the prv would in effect be hanging upside down. Would this impact the functioning of the valve? The install instructions don't seem to address this issue.

If such an approach would impact the functioning of the valve, what do you folks suggest as far as the safest and most stable way to integrate the prv into the existing line given the existing construction. I searched through older posts and couldn't find anyone else asking this sort of question, so I am hoping that someone can answer this question. Thanks in advance.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
prv

The valve can be installed in any orientation, and if you do not have room enough to screw it in, you can buy an additional "union" for it and put unions on both side. In fact, I install two unions on all of mine to meke it easier to replace in the future.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks