Copper Joints under Slab

Users who are viewing this thread

DME

Reaction score
I know it's not preferred that you have a joint under a slab. But, if there is no way to avoid it what is the most reliable method. I am considering going with flare joints. It's 1/2 copper lines. Any thoughts?

SRdenny

Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Silver soldering is a code approved, below slab method of joining copper tube and fittings.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I don't remember what the code is on flared joints under slab. Myself, I wouldn't do it because there will never be access to take it apart even if you wanted to. As for any kind of metal line under slab... my experience says that it needs to be protected from the chemicals of the concrete and should be in a plastic sleeve to protect the metal.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
joints

I always perfer flare over brazing, if the fittings are available. Brazing is "destructive" in that it removes the temper from the fittings, making them "flexible" and subject to cracking and breaking.

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Interesting... if using appropriate materials and properly making the weld and protecting it then it should be a moot argument when the concrete is poured...but at least now I know.

Using the "proper material and method" only means it was done to the least highest standard. The "proper" steel gas line, is a very poor material to bury in the ground, but an inspector will approve the installation. I have had 1/2" lines silver soldered to a 2 x 1/2 tee, and the branch of the tee broke off because the fitting's "hardness"/temper had been destroyed by making the joint.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks