venting question

Users who are viewing this thread

Allie

Reaction score
I'm putting in a new sink and tying it in to a drain line about seven and a half feet away. The line that I'm tapping into is vented at that point. Is this venting sufficient for the new sink or do I need to run its own vent line up above the ceiling and tie into the vent in the attic? Thanks for any help you can offer.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

Your drain is too long to go without its own vent, but where you can tie it back depends on what kind of pipe it is, and your description does not tell that.

Allie

Reaction score
It is a bathrrom sink drain, 1 1/2 " PVC. What is the maximum distance before venting a drain from a sink or shower?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
vent

In most cases 42", but you would have to check the code in your particular area. If that pipe is actually a vent, and not the drain for a sink upstairs then you can tie back to it at a point at least 42" above the floor.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks