NO water for 2wks. since it Snowed! NEED help!

Users who are viewing this thread

jamielady

Reaction score
:confused:
We are renting a house and the owner is in England, and we here in the Seattle area(Im in a rural area east of Seattle)had snow a couple weeks back.We have a shallow well with a pump that is supposed to have a pump protector. Now mind you,I dont know diddly about any of this, and neither does my husband. I went out to the pump house for the first time since we lived here just this morning.Wow what a trip thru a jungle! Im all scratched and was knee deep in mud,lol! But anyhow, so I go in there and heres what I take notice of.
There is an old water storage tank, and a newer one which is the installed one. It is a Kenmore shallow well tank.The PSI on it says between 25-30. Now laying to the side I see what I believe is a water pump that is no longer being used. I check the fuses, 2 20v. screw in kind. They seem fine.The thing is that I do not see another pump.I see the tank, with the psi valve that shows the amount, and a pie coming out, L shaped to the right where it seems to go on the ground.When lightly jiggling the pipe I hear water in it. But, I hear absolutely nothing in regards to a pump sound, dont know if I should.Though to me it seems like I should. I look for leaks and the only thing I see is an old coffee can attached to about a 1x2x4 that was laying close to the other tank(the non used one) full of water....strange? Anyhow, the snow finally melted yesterday, the temps have been up in the 40's in the last few days. I have checked daily to see if the water has come back.And yesterday I heard a bit of a gurggling sound when I opened the faucet, and today nothing.
The problem is that, we just literally dont have the funds or available credit to call a plumber. And having no water for two weeks is geting to me(Mom to four boys and hubby, need I say more?)
Is there anyone out there who might have some advice?
This did happen back in December but it was just for a few days while we had snow.While the weather has been very unusually cold and snowy up this way, you would think by now it would have melted if freezing were the problem.
Is there anyone out there that might be able to help me with ideas or suggestions?
The landlord wont be back for at least another 2 wks. and I cant take anymore! And they say theres going to be another snow storm coming first week of Feb. Yikes!!!
Hope some kind soul can help this frazzled DIY Mom get this thing working.
Thank for taking time to read lenghy post.
Jamie

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Get heat lamps and / or hair dryers and start heating the piping. Is the piping plastic, steel, or copper? My guess is that it is still frozen somewhere.

jamielady

Reaction score
Thank you for your suggestions!
The pipes coming from the tank are pvc, and he sprayed them with that insualtion foam after covering them with insulation wrap.I was reading another thread, that a lady was in a similar situation and was going to try to do what you said about heating it up. Getting electric cords all the way down there will be tricky.
What did you think about my questions regarding the pump ie:lack of noise, not seeing where it is-just the old one. A concern to me is whether the electric is working out there. I will see if I can figure that part out. Shouldnt I hear something? Would it be safe to use a space heater if I set it up safely? Being that the snow on the ground has just melted as of yesterday w/ bits still being here and there, am hoping that it is just needing a good thawing,like me!! LOL!
Thanks again for your help!
Jamie

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
It's warming up pretty good in Seattle right now.
I don't think it's frozen.

I'm guessing it's something else, pump prime maybe?

jamielady

Reaction score
Terry,
I am a newbie, and didnt know you were local! I am out in Carnation, and yes it is warmer,but we still have a little bit of snow left. I swear at times it could be sunny skies in Seattle and were still driving around in 6-8 inches of snow,lol!
But the pump prime is "greek" to me. Can you give me a little more insight,perhaps? Is it something that a gal like me can do? What causes the pump prime to not work? Is it expensive?
Thank you for your help and for having this web site!
Hope to hear more sage advice!
Jamie

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
There may be a pipe broken from freezing. Are there valves at the tank to drain the tank and shut off water to the house? If there is a drain valve, try turning it on and see if water flows. You may be pumping but it is leaking out before the house. If that is the case you will want to turn off the power to the pump because if it is running constantly it will be using a rather lot of electricity.

If the pump is running but pipes are broken and you have enough hose, and there is a shutoff valve at the well shed between the tank and the pipe to the house, a temporary link from the tank drain to an outside faucet on the house would get water. The tank has to be in the system to operate properly. The pressure switch (thing sticking out of pipe with wires) has to be on the operating pipes to control the running/pressure of the pump. Turn off the valve to the house pipe. If you cannot shut off the pipe this will not work. This water should not be used for drinking/cooking because the hose may be contaminated. After proper service is restored you should probably disinfect the pipes.

Is there an electrical receptacle that you can plug a light into in the shed? If so, take a light out and this will let you see if there is power to the shed. Using a voltmeter on the wires to the pump is better but I don't know if you are comfortable with opening the box up and playing around. If you don't know about such things you could hurt/kill yourself. There is probably a breaker/fuse in the house that feeds the pump even if there are fuses in the shed.

Not a well person but I thought I could give you a few ideas. I understand being without water. It has happened to me several times. Once it yielded a wife, but this is the exception.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks