(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Shocking!!!!

DIY Junior Member Steven Palmisano's Avatar

Default Shocking!!!!

Recently I had some work performed on my well and water purification system (new pressure switch, new control box, etc.). I was cleaning the weeds from around the water purifcation tanks, pump, etc., had one hand on the well pump metal pipe and the other hand touch the pressure switch at which point I was shocked. I put a tester to the two points of contact and getting about 105 (varying) volts. Any advice...

Thanks,

Steve
    Last edited by Steven Palmisano; 01-21-2007 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Poorly written

Rancher

Have whomever you had work on the system come back and fix it, tell them your dog got electrocuted and you're afraid one of the kids will be next

Rancher

[QUOTE=Rancher]Have whomever you had work on the system come back and fix it, tell them your dog got electrocuted and you're afraid one of the kids will be next
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    that's very good advice to get whoever did the work come back and fix it.
    But very poor advice to lie to them about a dog.....tell them the TRUTH, in that YOU were the one that got shocked.

Yep, honesty is always the best policy and can prevent someone from making assumptions that gets them hurt. That then would be on the guy giving the misleading/false info.

And it may have been like this from day one... or the pump or a worn cable is causing it etc. so it may not be something the last guy did or didn't do.
    Gary Slusser Retired (= out of business)
    Click Here to learn how to correctly size or program a water softener.
    CAUTION, as of Nov 12 2013 all YouTube videos showing how to rebuild a Clack valve have an error in them that can cause damage.

As a start, one or both of the items is not adequately grounded. All of the metal parts of the system should be grounded/bonded to an Equipment Grounding Conductor that goes back to the grounding bar in the service panel or sub-panel. For power conductors up to 10 AWG, the Equipment Grounding Conductor should be at least as large as the largest power conductor supplying the equipment.

You could check each of the "hot points" independently to ground to find which is the source of the leakage. The best way to do that is usually with an extension cord to another independent circuit so you can check voltage relative to the ground terminal of the receptacle. You can also check to the hot terminal of the extension cord to see if you get 0 or 240 Volts, which will give you an idea of the phase of the leaking conductor.

You should try to measure with no load (just your meter), and with a load across the connection (such as a lamp). You will probably find no voltage with the load. If it lights the lamp, there is a very serious problem.