P-trap angle question

Users who are viewing this thread

shamrock_94

Reaction score
I'm installing a new drain for my shower, and I'm having some trouble working the drain pipe around some joists to the horizontal pipe leading to the main waste line. I have 2 questions.

#1 how far can the outlet portion of a p trap be rotated? See image below #1 is the nomal installation I see and I have seen some done as in #2. My tight situation would require #3, almost doubling back. Would this be a problem?

#2 after leaving the outlet of the P-trap the waste pipe will connect with a horizontal drain pipe that leads to the main house 3" drain. The issue is when running a drain horizontally, I know you must have 1/4" of drop per foot. Is there any limitation on the severity of the bends over the course of the horizontal line. In my situation a 90 bend would "work" but would this severe turn slow down the drain? Would 2-45s be a better solution?

thanks in advance

Attachments

• P-Traps.gif
    P-Traps.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 1,975

santhony7

Reaction score
plumbiong

I am no plumber but...

1. The trap is made to point in any direction and I can't see a reason why the flow would be reduced by doing so.

2. The IDEAL situation would always run a sweeping turn but I know from experience that they do tend to take up a lot of space so you could use a 3x3x2 sanitary T (some codes won't allow it though). The only thing you need to really avoid is using a vent 90, way too shallow of a turn. I used nothing but 3X3X2 sweeps in my system and one 3X3X2 45 degree with a 45 adapter.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
top view, then OK

assuming that i have seen top views, looking down, then you are fine. You can turn it like it shows. and it is not a problem.

the other question appears to be whether two 45 degree bends are better than a 90, and the answer is always yes, and never no. But it isn't usually critical, and no-one is going to insist, and someone might even say it makes no difference in 99.9% of applications. But the answer is still yes, and always yes, at all times, everywhere in the world.

When connecting a horizontal drain pipe (with small slope) to a bigger drain on the same plane, use a "Y", a Wye. Otherwise you have to let the water fall in from above, and then you have a few options.

i hope i understood your situation and gave you answers that helped. i read the above response and i'm not sure i caught it all, about T's.

david

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks