Steel, Fiberglass or Cast/Tub Replacement Questions

Users who are viewing this thread

AdrianMariano

Reaction score
The installation instructions that came with my acrylic tub were quite clear: you were REQUIRED to install it in thinset. (They also explicitly warned against the used of drywall mud as an alternative.)

Handyman

Reaction score
My wife and I looked at some tubs today and liked the Sterling Ensemble Curve tub and surround. Anyone have any feelings on this? What are the better brand fiberglass tubs to go with? Thanks.

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
Sorry no, but I was glad to find this thread as it's exactly what I'm having to deal with now. I removed a cast-iron tub and have to put in a new one, but cringe at the thought of installing another 350 lb tub.
The cast-iron tub that I removed had a dull, stained finish after 22 years. I would have thought that with all the hubbub about durability of cast-iron that this thing would last much longer still looking good. I don't see the point of dealing with all that weight if the finish is not going to hold up anyway. I guess the stability and sound dampening is a good reason to buy one. I'm still open to considering cast iron if I can be convinced that it's worth its weight. Maybe I just had a cheap one with a mediocre finish. I'm going to look into the Americast that was mentioned earlier.
One note about thinset under tubs. I used Custom Speedset to embed a neo-angle shower base. the base was spongy and flexed when I stood on it prior to the installation. It's really nice and solid now in the thinset. Speedset is a fast drying thinset that is kind of spooky to use for regular tiling since it dries so fast. But, it worked great for this application where it's beneficial for it to dry quickly. Also thinset isn't really supposed to be applied in thick pours
like for this application. So, I'm surprised that it's specified to be used for shower and tub installs. That's another reason I went w/ speedset though.

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
jeff_bathroom said:
One note about thinset under tubs. I used Custom Speedset to embed a neo-angle shower base ...
... thinset isn't really supposed to be applied in thick pours like for this application. So, I'm surprised that it's specified to be used for shower and tub installs. That's another reason I went w/ speedset though.

Yes. I can imagine the person writing those instructions thinking of anything that comes in a bag as "thinset" without considering one of the possible reasons certain mixtures are designated thin-set.

Jeff_Bathroom

Reaction score
I'm with you on that. The only reason I went with thinset instead of mud was that I looked at the only mud I could find at HD (don't remember the name) and it stated clearly the materials it adheres to (subfloors basically). I had tiled beneath the shower base so that I wouldn't have to make all those complex cuts to meet up with the shower base edges. I'm glad I did that because it does look really nice and clean. I was afraid that mud would not "stick" to polished porcelain beneath even when I roughed it up.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The mud under a shower or tub insn't intended to adhere it to the floor, it is for support - a bond is not required. Some instructions say to put plastic under and over it so subsequent removals are easier. The goal is to fully support the bottom to prevent flex, and make it feel more substantial than it is.

Handyman

Reaction score
Does anyone have any input on the best brand or even model of fiberglass tub to get? Any feelings on Sterling?

JohnD

Reaction score
Sterling tubs are solid acrylic. Aqua glass, Lasco, Universal Rundle are some of the bigger names in fiberglass tubs. I don't have a recomendation one over the other. I have sold the Aqua glass fiberglass tubs and they seem to be well made, much better than their acrylic tubs.

Each material used for tubs has it's benefits, and it's faults. I for one wouldn't use a steel tub, but I wouldn't hesitate to use any of the other materials.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks