Ultramax traps

Users who are viewing this thread

JCH

Reaction score
I have two Toto Ultramax toilets. One (a year old) flushes great.

The other (<1 month old)--not so great. Easily plugs with paper.

Before I installed the newest one, I felt inside the trap (from the bottom/exit of the base) and it felt rough.

I don't remember what my first one was like.

Are these toilets supposed to be smooth/glazed for the *entire* length of the trap? Or just the part you see?

Thanks!
.../j

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Has it plugged from day 1?

You may have a bad toilet as no one can produce anything 100% perfectly 100% of the time. I would be sure there is no obstruction in the trapway and drain if none return it for another.

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I've seen them both ways.
They do pull a sponge soaked in glaze, sometimes just a clear glaze to seal.
Doesn't look like much.
Toilets at the bottom flat part won't have glaze, the wax won't stick if they glaze it.
I've also seen wax blocking the exit too.

The worst paper I see for any toilet is the Charmin 2 ply.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661

JCH

Reaction score
Terry said:
The worst paper I see for any toilet is the Charmin 2 ply.

https://terrylove.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1661
Thanks--I'm going to test whether that's the culprit.

Both bathrooms were stocked with Charmin 2-ply. The older toilet (which never plugs) is only 18" from the main plumbing stack, so it may be able to handle the stuff.

I've pulled the Charmin out of the bathroom with the newest (plug-prone) toilet and replaced it with *Charmin Extra* which sure seems a lot more dissolvable.

I've got a big inventory of Charmin 2-ply from Wal-Mart's annual blow-out anniversary sale....

I'll report back on whether the situation improves...

.../j

TPA

Reaction score
I'm thinking that you might have part of the wax ring blocking the trapway at the flange. I usually take a decent wad of toilet paper and place it in the bowl near the drain, then dump a couple of 5 gallon buckets in there. Seems to blast most partial clogs/obstructions without a problem. Also is a good way to make sure the line is clear.

The trapways on my new Aquias were mostly smooth, but nothing like the bowl.

As far as the TP goes, Cottenelle Ultra 2-ply here, all the way. I'd gladly replace the toilets (which I did) than go down to 1-ply or something rougher. Life's too short for 35 grit. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks