Replacing old shower pan with Swanstone

Users who are viewing this thread

ComputerGeek

Computer Systems Admin
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am new to posting to this forum, been an occasional reader for a while.
I am doing a bathroom remodel on my masterbath. House was built in 68 and the shower walls were tile over drywall and rotted away . I am going to replace the old fiberglass shower pan with a new Swanstone solid surface pan. The old pan had a pressfit drain that was leaded to the copper DWV. I drilled out the lead to remove the old pan. I have left the copper stub in the floor. The Swanstone comes with a self caulking drain. Can that be used with the old copper? If not, whats the easiest way to make my connection?

Thanks
Dave

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
Seen the drain? Plastic?

if you can get to see the new drain, or get an accurate and precise description, then yes it'll fit to old copper, as long as you put the appropriate intermediate fitting in, that will adapt from copper to the new.

Anything can be made to fit to copper. Copper has been around for too many years; no-one can avoid it; there are always fittings made to go from copper to anything else.

david:)

Hue

Reaction score
dave,

we are also about to put in a swanstone shower pan... what do you think of the product? and what size pan did you get?

hue

ComputerGeek

Computer Systems Admin
Reaction score
David, thanks for the response. After thinking about it some, the old subfloor has some water damage to it so I have decided to replace the section where the shower pan is. That will also allow me to shim the top of the floor joist so when I screw down the new subfloor it will be completely level. While the floor is up I am going to cut out the old copper P-trap, sweat on a threaded fitting and put a new PVC P-trap in.

Hue, I liked the Swanstone solid surface. Lowes had the Swanstone veritek pan which just feels cheap. HD and the Expo store had neither on display. I had to go to a regular bathroom product showroom to see it and touch it though. The woman at the store told me as long as you bed the pan correctly any pan should last forever. I still liked the heavier feel of the solid surface though. They had a cutaway there and the pan is a least a full 1/4 in thickbetween the ribs. I bought a plain white Swantone SS3232 from them. It cost $257 there. I could have got cheaper on the net, but I appreciated the the service I got from them.

Dave

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks