kenmore worth a darn?

Users who are viewing this thread

in-mn

Reaction score
I have moved into two homes in the last decade and put kenmore water systems in them. The first was for a small two bedroom house, the second was for my family home. I bought the best model offered.

My gripe is that there seems to be a noticeable honeymoon period with these. Then its like after 6 months the resin tanks go bad or become less effective. I have cleaned valves, done iron out, etc, (city water, irons not really a prob, but you never know), but water just seems to feel hard.

42,300 max grains. Water is around 17-19 gpm (or so). While it is much better than untreated for buildup, we still have hardness deposits on water dispensers, etc.

It does seem to do a nightly recharge, so perhaps we are using more than its capable of. However, way back when it seemed we did one recharge every 3-4 nights, now its nightly.

Is this thing just a piece of crap? Setting hardness from 10-25 doesnt change water it seems. Have to do more tests, and hate dealing with sears salesmen. They want to resell me a softener even though i just got from them, so stopped going.

Suggestions?

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Welcome to the world of cheep from Corp America..
Where valves are always undergoing a change of some type.

Sears and the ones just like them really love the upper basket, now it does have it's place but more times than not it is a problem in how well the system will clean.
Plus it is a reason for a prefilter on their systems, to keep stuff out of that upper basket from getting there in the first place.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks