You just gotta see this plumbing job

Users who are viewing this thread

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
I've pulled plenty of Ferncos that have sagged over time causing flow problems.
For that reason alone, I would never use one.

Now that is the statement of a professional.

Nothing like experience to help you make good decisions. Better to learn from the mistakes of others.

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
I just replaced my basement sump pump. While I was at it, I replaced the 15-year-old Ferncos, though they really didn't need it. This whole pipe-misalignment thing might be true on some kinds of pipe. On lightweight pipe like ABS, I'm not so sure. And you cannot assume that the pipe in the ground will not mis-align because of compaction.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I just replaced my basement sump pump. While I was at it, I replaced the 15-year-old Ferncos, though they really didn't need it. This whole pipe-misalignment thing might be true on some kinds of pipe. On lightweight pipe like ABS, I'm not so sure. And you cannot assume that the pipe in the ground will not mis-align because of compaction.

The implied use for it's application (dewatering) doesn't pose the same standard of use in dealing with DWV applications. Dealing with solid waste matter ranging from the toilet to the kitchen sink involves matter that is continually broken down over repeated exposures to running water. This process relies totally on the non-fouling smooth surface of the pipe to start this motion from fixture opening to edge of property line. This is mainly a gravity type, not pressure. I'm going to show you some of those rubber ferncos I pull out of sump pits when they've reached 5-10 years old; look just like a flapper in a toilet all rippled, hardened, no chance of properly securing the pipe. I can't even keep those pipes straight when using either the zoeller or the Flotec check valves. They are not steady, especially when a check valve gets farther vertical in that equation.

I agree totally with a possibility of compaction not being 100%, especially if there is underground paths of water movement like in a situation involving pea gravel and a sump pit equation.

If the piping is laid on true virgin ground (unlikely) a solid backfill should implement it's guarantee of being secure. We're not in a perfect world however.

jar546,

If you have a vent set to minimum fall back to a drain, envision a vent inside a hot attic. Not only is the pvc subject/prone to elasticity but that rubber boot is very likely to do the same. The intial application of a fitting is to tightly secure two pieces of pipe together with no shoulder or offset diameters.

Those fittings under a pressure issue are only holding by the 7/8" thickness of the bands where they secure the fernco. Aging rubber depending on what runs through it (hot/cold applications continuous unlike dewatering pump check valves) can make that rubber very hard.

Try cutting one loose with a utility knife and you better have you're band-aids nearby. The rubber gets really hard from being heated from the contents of what runs through it, the ends of the pipe are subjected to deterioration because it allows trapped contaminates between the rubber and the pipe. Mission no-hub couplings have a shouldered ledge in the center, the length of the fitting is intentionally shortened. << This really sucks sometimes but ensures that you either have it right, or you don't. :(

Perfect example>>>>> That rubber connector on the dishwasher discharges.

IF you're not prying it off with a screwdriver you can expect to split it if you're not careful that way.

You pull that connection loose from the barbed nipple, that rubber is conformed to it's connection and the rubber does not go back to its original state.

So if you're like me, you really hard crank that stainless steel hose clamp hoping that it doesn't leak...

there is no alternative, short of telling the customer to replace the dishwasher discharge? Not going to happen.

Last edited:

Jar546

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.inspectpa.com
Rugged, excellent points and well taken.

Again, I am not against Ferncos but only in a vent situation for a repair under the right circumstances. They are used all too often.

If you can do it right the first time, do it.

I use them to fix broken 1-1/2" broken lateral lines in sand mound septic absorption areas because there is no other way without having to overexcavate.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I'm sure everybody has seen the DIY connect 1.5" cu to 1.5" plastic. It always looks like a mess and doesn't last very long. Mission couplings hold the two different types well.

Construct30

Reaction score
I think the problem with the misalignment is more of a problem of support. The use of the ferncos in the picture will have problems, the strap iron is not proper support. The IRC says the pipe has to be supported up, down, right, left and every other way. The company even talks about support in their literature.

I have removed ferncos that are over 20 years old and they looked as good as new, as far as them breaking down, besides what is the stainless steel sleeve going to do to stop that, a sleeved fernco will have the same issue, so not a valid arguement against their use.

Misuse of any product will cause issues. We see a lot of that in PEX and other products.

Krow

Plumber
Reaction score
There is alot of talk about these fernco couplings and their limitations. In my area they are allowed for repairs but I wouldn't do an entire house/project with them. It would never be cost effective and would end up taking too much time to secure both ends of materials being joined. The problem with the sagging pipes are just out of laziness. Securing both ends would stop any sagging. Nobody should be relying on these coupling to support any piping or fixtures..

Each juresdiction will have their own pressedent. For example, in my area PVC pipe above ground is unheard of and against our code. The only pipe to be used above ground would be copper , ABS, cast iron, CPVC

Last edited:

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
I think the problem with the misalignment is more of a problem of support. The use of the ferncos in the picture will have problems, the strap iron is not proper support. The IRC says the pipe has to be supported up, down, right, left and every other way. The company even talks about support in their literature.

I have removed ferncos that are over 20 years old and they looked as good as new, as far as them breaking down, besides what is the stainless steel sleeve going to do to stop that, a sleeved fernco will have the same issue, so not a valid arguement against their use.

Misuse of any product will cause issues. We see a lot of that in PEX and other products.

construct30,

You are really starting to show your limitations. And it sounds like you make a common practice to install/maintain/repair/replace plumbing using inferior/incorrect piping materials because it works for you.

Just because it works in your back yard does not mean it's the golden rule that it's a plausible method of pipe joining. You certainly are not one to decide what's basis for a valid arguement.

It's spelled argument.

I can imagine what your piping systems look like when you use a fernco and you support each and every connection up down right left and every other way..........

especially when you could of spent $8 more per fitting and done it right like the majority of state plumbing codes. A degree of expectation from licensed plumbers governed by the state's adopted practices.

This isn't the first time I've questioned your thinking. So when are you going out of business? You applauded my thinking, but you're not practicing what you preach, complimented me on.

popcorn.gif

Last edited:

Construct30

Reaction score
Rugged, I do not use unbanded fittings, I'm just saying You people scare people into thinking that just because some 100 year old house had a repair job done with a fernco the entire house is about to jump up and kill you, that is just not the case.

If an inspector, yes our back yard dirt water town has many, comes on one of my jobs and can move a drain or vent pipe very much you FAILED.

Rugged Sorry I'm not an english major, I'll be around a long time with my back water plumbing company, you're... never mind.

question away.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
Nothing wrong with a fernco............

their is nothing wrong with a fernco fitting
What are you all thinking????.....

they will work great for 200 years....in almost any
situation......

Its really not the fernco fitting,

its always the fellow that is installing them ......

just like in the picture ......

the only problem I have ever had with fernco
fittings has been that over perhaps 10 years
they have a tendencey to shrink a little and the bands
need to be tightend....

Its only a drain line......its not a pressurized water line

I will trust a fernco fitting any day .

if you want to get really technical about it,
most of the sump pump check valves you
see on the market like Red Jacket, Zoeller, and others
are nothing more than two fernco fittings clamped onto a plastic
check valve.... pumping out water constantly out of basements
for years and years constantly under pressure and under great
thumping vibration . .......and people trust them .........

sumppumpcheck.gif
zoeller-castironcheck.gif

I would trust a fernco in my home any day over
almost all PEX pipe

especially the pressurized PEX slop
I have have seen. slapped
in all over town..............

I have been sitting at home with a sick kid with the flu all
week long, since last Sunday....

I think I am getting a little stir crazy here

Last edited by a moderator:

Construct30

Reaction score
As far as the IRC is concerned, it does not specifically address Fernco to the best of my knowledge.

There is a Legacy report that gives them approval for use as far as IRC is concerned.

The Legacy report states the above ground use of the Ferco is subject to the approval of the inspector/AHJ. This makes it subjective which is not good.

I personally don't have a problem with them, especially for the vent portion.

If an IRC inspector wants to get technical, he can use P3002.3.1 of the IRC to disallow the use of a Fernco.

jar546 thanks for the code, I can see that, I guess. I would say that means a person has to be very carefull with pipe alignment and the cuts if you do use one or for that matter any type of repair fitting.

It is nice to have you here, some guys don't care for inspectors, but I can get along with them. I attend all the Builder's Association and other code meetings I can to hear first hand what the inspectors like to see on the jobs. It is easier to just do it the way they like to see it than get on their bad side. I find most inspectors have a valid reason to want some thing, the code doesn't exactly spell out, the way they want it.

Do you know how hard it is for me not to misspell every word right now? I hope I misspelled something. Lucky for me they put the code books on audio tape, our one room school house only had up to third grade and that outhouse really smelled. I also have the plumbing code picture and coloring book.

Last edited:

Herk

Plumber
Reaction score
Rugged said:
The implied use for it's application (dewatering) doesn't pose the same standard of use in dealing with DWV applications.

Sorry, I misspoke. So much for tossing off a quick reply. It's a sewage sump. I stuck in a new 4/5hp Zoeller.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I have seen enough underground sewer line misalignments that I no longer use plain rubber couplings even underground. I've been using a stainless steel banded coupling similar to an extra heavy no hub with 4 clamps on underground sewer lines. I'm not sure of the manufacturer I'll find out next time I get them... It might be Clamp-All.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
All the hose clamps I have ever used have been stainless... even in the automotive world!

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
I have never seen a stainless dryer vent hose clamp...they all are steel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks