Wiring a Garbage Disposer

Users who are viewing this thread

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'm going to be replacing the garbage disposer. It's currently hard-wired from a cable coming out of the wall. I see people are now putting a cord on the thing and plugging it in. While I could put a receptacle on the end of the wire, what is the current code on this...can I just hardwire the new one, or should I add a receptacle and a cord with a plug on it? It's currently fed from a gfci protected circuit.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
New Hampshire seems to be on the 2017 NEC.

The circuit does not require GFCI protection under the 2017 NEC. [The 2020 NEC changes how the "6' from a sink rule" measures distance to no longer stop at doors, so it would require GFCI protection under the 2020 NEC if you use a receptacle.] The disposer should not be on the same circuit as any of the countertop receptacles.

Hardwiring is generically allowed. A disconnect is required within sight of the appliance (meaning within the sink base cabinet, I would say, although some say simply within sight if you are sitting in front of the cabinet), or that is lockable (e.g. the circuit breaker has one of those permanent brackets installed that let you slip a padlock through to lock the breaker off).

Romex is not to be used unprotected where "exposed to physical damage," and there is wide regional variation on how that is interpreted for a garbage disposal. Some jurisdictions have no problem with exposed Romex crossing from the wall to the garbage disposal. Others would say it should be covered with something like smurf tube, while others would require a metallic cable method.

The only way to find out your local practice is to contact a local electrician or building department. Cord and plug connection is always OK and provides the disconnect within site. So on balance I would say that cord and plug connection is a slightly better installation, and certainly one that is not subject to regional interpretation issues.

Cheers, Wayne

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
NEC 2014 & 2017 for corded appliances. 2014 changed that GFCI is now required under the sink. The counter top rule no longer applies, now it's any receptacle 6' from a sink needs GFCI.
https://www.electricallicenserenewa...cation-Courses/NEC-Content.php?sectionID=15.0

Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 1.54.04 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2020-09-09 at 1.58.20 PM.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
2014 changed that GFCI is now required under the sink.
It's a little more complicated than that. The 2011 NEC had a rule requiring GFCI protection on receptacles within 6' of all sinks except in kitchens. 2014 changed it to all sinks. 2017 clarified how to measure that distance as "the shortest path the cord of an appliance connected to the receptacle would follow without piercing a floor, wall, ceiling, or fixed barrier, or passing hrough a door, doorway, or window." Then 2020 removed the bit about doors and doorways.

So for a receptacle under a sink in a cabinet with a door, we have: 2011 NEC -- no GFCI required. 2014 NEC -- depends on how you measure distance. 2017 NEC -- no GFCI required. 2020 NEC -- GFCI required.

As a separate matter, starting with the 2014 NEC, the dishwasher is required to be GFCI protected, whether it is hard wired or cord and plug connected to a receptacle.

The counter top rule no longer applies, now it's any receptacle 6' from a sink needs GFCI.
Not sure what you mean by that, the above rules are in addition to the rule that all receptacles serving a kitchen counter require GFCI. That rule hasn't changed.

Cheers, Wayne

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
It’s basically if it’s near any water, inside and outside or appliance that uses water, it gets a GFCI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks