Will bent 3/4 copper pipe laterals pose a problem or can they be straightened?

Users who are viewing this thread

kgphoto

Reaction score
A "contractor" put a bunch of copper pipes up in the attic preparatory to re-
Bent-pipe.jpg
piping a house. In order to get them up in the attic, he bent them approx 10 degrees off each side of center for about 20 degrees total. So now it is impossible to make a straight run. Can these be straightened by a tool that can fit in an attic?

With alternating bends be enough, or will it create too much strain on the joints?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
No tool. Why do you need a straight run? As long as the joints are properly made, and pipes are not kinked, the curves will not cause a problem, and there are no bonus points for straight runs. I'm not sure how a real plumber would have done this, but I would have considered cutting the pipes to a size that would fit then coupling the pieces once in the attic.

kgphoto

Reaction score
My guess is he wanted to minimize the amount of torch work in the attic. I heard that non straight pipes create turbulence and reduce flow.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
IF a curve in a pipe was a problem, what do you think a 90-degree fitting does? It COULD be a problem if it was bent too much and had a kink, as was mentioned, which would create a narrowing and potential turbulence, depending on the flow rate. It's not considered good practice to bend rigid pipe, though.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
my pecker has a bend and crook in it and I notice when I pee
the water seems to spin out the end of it in more of a clock wise fashion.
I have not noticed much in the way of wear and tear on my equipment over
the years......

The same goes with bends in your copper pipe,
I dont think you have anything to worry about ...
let the man do his job ...... :D:D.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks