Wi-Fi Thermostat without C Wire

Users who are viewing this thread

Reicherb

Reaction score
I'm looking to replace 3 thermostats on my hydronic heat system. I don't have a C wire and adding one will be impossible in 2 of the 3 thermostat locations. Can anyone recommend a thermostat for my application?

Thanks!

Bannerman

Reaction score
Inclusion of a Wifi radio substantially increases the amount of power the thermostat will consume compared to a typical non-wifi programmable thermostat that will often be powered by a replaceable battery.

You didn't state how many wires lead to each thermostat.

Ecobee include a Power Extender Kit (PEK) device with each thermostat, but at least 4-wires will be required between each PEK and its corresponding thermostat.

Honeywell offer a similar C-wire adaptor as an accessory, but the list of included items does not specify an adaptor being included with Honeywell smart thermostats.

Google Nest offer a 2-wire adaptor that also does not appear to be included, but it seems to offer less functionality compared to the 4-wire alternatives.

Ecobee PEK description

Honeywell Adaptor

Nest adaptor

Reicherb

Reaction score
Inclusion of a Wifi radio substantially increases the amount of power the thermostat will consume compared to a typical non-wifi programmable thermostat that will often be powered by a replaceable battery.

You didn't state how many wires lead to each thermostat.

Ecobee include a Power Extender Kit (PEK) device with each thermostat, but at least 4-wires will be required between each PEK and its corresponding thermostat.

Honeywell offer a similar C-wire adaptor as an accessory, but the list of included items does not specify an adaptor being included with Honeywell smart thermostats.

Google Nest offer a 2-wire adaptor that also does not appear to be included, but it seems to offer less functionality compared to the 4-wire alternatives.

Ecobee PEK description

Honeywell Adaptor

Nest adaptor
I have 3 wires to each thermostat. Unfortunately there isn't an unused wire available. Does that mean none of the solutions you suggested will work? Maybe the nest one works. I can't seem to follow how it works.

Fitter30

Reaction score
What are the three wires and do they go to a zone or pump control and what is it?. Haven looked yet to see if there is a wireless stat run off wifi.

Last edited:

Reicherb

Reaction score
Here are some pictures. Hopefully helpful... I found some that I look a few years ago. I'm not currently near home.

Attachments

• IMG_20191106_191418542.jpg
    IMG_20191106_191418542.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_20191108_171644724.jpg
    IMG_20191108_171644724.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20191108_171651311.jpg
    IMG_20191108_171651311.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 50

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Most thermostat wire cable were usually at least four wires. Don' necessary go by the colors.

Another option is a c-wire adapter. just google it. It's a transformer you plug in an outlet near the thermostat, however, a wire to the thermostat is exposed. You can run the thin wire along the base molding, drill a small hole in the wall cavity the thermostat is mounted. Snake the wire in side the to the t thermostat.

A third option is Honeywell/ WiFi thermostats that can be used with remote sensor. Mount three thermostats near the zone controller. Program so only the remote sensor are only used for temperature control. Mount the remotes anywhere or at the thermosta. Use your smartphone to view the temperature and change the settings.

1702959021569.png

Reicherb

Reaction score
The thermostat wires are 3 conductor. I used wire with more conductors between the zone valves and the boiler. That's what you see wrapped. It's a multiple story house. There is not an easy way to replace the wires or I would have already done that.

Zone valves are white Rodgers. There are 3 of them. 1 on each floor of the house.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
The thermostat wires are 3 conductor. I used wire with more conductors between the zone valves and the boiler. That's what you see wrapped. It's a multiple story house. There is not an easy way to replace the wires or I would have already done that.

Zone valves are white Rodgers. There are 3 of them. 1 on each floor of the house.
You have a very nice boiler room. The work looks great. It seems the best bet is two C-wire Adapters for the second and third floors. First floor a new thermostat cable can be had.

Reicherb

Reaction score
You have a very nice boiler room. The work looks great.
Thank you. I actually did the work myself with some guidance from the forums.

Are you able to explain how the C Wire adapters work? I've read a couple of installation guides and don't understand. Do the existing wires become low volt communication wires rather than just delivering power?

Fitter30

Reaction score
Disconnect Y wire at thermostat. According to the install instructions valve only needs two. See if a call for heat then satisfied strokes the valve both ways.

Last edited:

Reicherb

Reaction score
Disconnect Y wire at thermostat. According to the install instructions valve only needs two. See if a call for heat then satisfied strokes the valve both ways.

I'll give it a try. My time at home is limited as I currently have a sick kid.

WorthFlorida

Solutions
Reaction score
Thank you. I actually did the work myself with some guidance from the forums.

Are you able to explain how the C Wire adapters work? I've read a couple of installation guides and don't understand. Do the existing wires become low volt communication wires rather than just delivering power?
It'll take me a day or two. It's a busy week, chemo therapy, cancer support group session, An appointment on Thursday morning. Today at my church, I help the maintenance guy Billy rewiring for the church sign. The 40 year old outlet was all corroded. Added a photo cell, a cutoff switch and new GFCI outlet and three new boxes. I was there from about 8:30 to 6pm. There was a cold breeze from the north all day long. 46º at 8:00 am, didn't get above 65º. Very cold for Central Florida. Thank for asking my help. I'll get to it.

Fitter30

Reaction score
It'll take me a day or two. It's a busy week, chemo therapy, cancer support group session, An appointment on Thursday morning. Today at my church, I help the maintenance guy Billy rewiring for the church sign. The 40 year old outlet was all corroded. Added a photo cell, a cutoff switch and new GFCI outlet and three new boxes. I was there from about 8:30 to 6pm. There was a cold breeze from the north all day long. 46º at 8:00 am, didn't get above 65º. Very cold for Central Florida. Thank for asking my help. I'll get to it.
Take care of yourself work is always there. He's got a sick kid Post 16 might have a fix for him post 14

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks