Whole house water filtration drops pressure

Users who are viewing this thread

DIY guy 2

Reaction score
Hi there, we did a remodel and in the process replaced the entire plumbing, mostly 3/4 copper to 1/2 at fixture.

Additionally, added this Aquasana whole house filter with the professional kit: https://www.aquasana.com/whole-house-water-filters/1000k-gallon-rhino

It has a pre/post filter on the main tube. The problem is it drops the water pressure quite significantly. I don't have a gauge after water leaves it, so currently on bypass. Have changed the pre and post filters - I read somewhere that 3M filters clog which could be part of the problem.

How do I resolve this, is the system just not a good idea to have as a whole house filter and I bought the wrong thing? Do I consider adding an 80 gallon well tank as a mitigation layer?

Reach4

Reaction score
Contact them for a cure, but make a decision before the trial is up.

QUOTE="DIY guy 2, post: 631080, member: 97138"]How do I resolve this, is the system just not a good idea to have as a whole house filter and I bought the wrong thing?[/QUOTE]
https://cdn.aquasana.com/assets/guarantee_one.pdf

DIY guy 2

Reaction score
Should have clarified, I'm beyond the return point now. Have had the unit installed for some time and didn't fully resolve in the window - which I wasn't fully aware of at the time of purchase.

Reach4

Reaction score
Try calling customer service. https://www.aquasana.com/ has the phone number at the bottom.

They probably know what change is needed. It may indeed be a clogged filter cartridge.

A bigger pressure tank is not going to help this.

Do get a pressure gauge, and compare the pressure after the filter with the one at the pressure tank. Compare while running the tub spout, or some other water use. A garden hose thread pressure gauge can go on a laundry tap or the drain for the water heater.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
I looked at their website. Under 1 star reviews, most complain about the low pressure.

DIY guy 2

Reaction score
Try calling customer service. https://www.aquasana.com/ has the phone number at the bottom.

They probably know what change is needed. It may indeed be a clogged filter cartridge.

A bigger pressure tank is not going to help this.

Do get a pressure gauge, and compare the pressure after the filter with the one at the pressure tank. Compare while running the tub spout, or some other water use. A garden hose thread pressure gauge can go on a laundry tap or the drain for the water heater.
Thanks for this. I've changed the pre and post filters before which didn't solve the problem, but will get a pre guage and post gauge to do a comparison of the system. I have the bypass in place so it's not actively engaged currently.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Depending on how fine of a filter it is and what you have in the water that you are trying to filter out, there will always be some pressure loss through a filter. The finer the stuff it's designed to filter, the greater the loss. If you aren't starting with a very high pressure, that may be common in a well system, the relative amount of loss can be a significant portion of the available.

If your pump is capable of it, you might consider changing the pressure switch and set the system pressure to be higher.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks