Whole House Surge Protectors - Breaker Type vs External

Users who are viewing this thread

Slicker

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to determine the most effective type of whole home surge protection to install on two Eaton BR type circuit breaker panels. The options I've looked at are all made by Eaton: CHSPT2ULTRA, BRNSURGE, and the BR230SUR. The CHSPT2ULTRA is the most difficult install for me since its an external device and there's not a lot of room around the panel to install it (the panels are mounted to studs on either side and there's insulation surrounding the panel). The BRNSURGE could be installed in any open two slot space in the panel which is much easier (I would still need to move a few breakers to make room though). However, I could just use the BR230SUR to replace an existing 30amp two pole breaker and from what I understand get similar protection to the BRNSURGE without taking up any spare slots.

What I can't determine is if there a marked difference in effectiveness between the three options. The CHSPT2ULTRA has a much higher maximum capacity than the two breaker options (108 kA vs. 38 kA), but I'm not sure if that higher capacity is worth the effort of getting it installed. The CHSPT2ULTRA also offers more modes of protection than the breaker types L-N/L-G/L-L/N-G vs. just L-N, L-L . I found a NEMA FAQ states that "some applications such as applying an SPD at a service entrance where both the neutral and ground points are bonded there is no benefit of separate L-N and L-G modes" so if that's accurate the biggest difference between the devices is the maximum surge capacity and the N-G mode of protection offered by the external device.

Does anyone have any thoughts on choosing between these different options?

Thanks in advance.

Here are the spec sheet for the devices in question if that's helpful.

BRNSURGE - https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/skuPage.BRNSURGE.specifications.html

BR230SUR - https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/skuPage.BR230SUR.specifications.html

CHSPT2ULTRA - https://www.eaton.com/us/en-us/skuPage.CHSPT2ULTRA.specifications.html

https://www.eaton.com/content/dam/e...al-safety/nec-surge-protection-cc003013en.pdf

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
There can be local disturbances that produce surges (a big pump turning off, for example), and external sources. If you get a nearby lightning strike, the more capacity and the response rate of the devices are what may save you, but if it's really close, probably nothing will. None of the specs listed show the response rate, which, on some is in the few nanosecond timeframes...they may work that fast, they may not, can't tell, at least with my limited knowledge of the specs listed.

For sure, one installed in a breaker slot is the easiest to install. Making it do double-duty, acting as a CB as well, may not be an advantage, as internal arcing may become an issue as you try to cram more into the same space. FWIW, 600v with a surge from lightning, may be way too low.

On some, you may be able to install it after the meter on the drop to the panel, rather than at or in the panel. FWIW, about 10" equals about 1-nanosecond of time in propagation of an electrical signal at the speed of light, so closer to the source has advantages.

While I have had surge suppression at the panel for decades and not seen any power related issues where neighbors have, I also tend to put UPS or surge suppression on expensive items that probably helps, too.

Slicker

Reaction score
I also share the feeling that a combined device won't be as effective as the external one partially due to the lower capacity of it and the fact that its handling two functions. This is what I'm dealing with at the panels which makes the external one not as straight forward of an install:

panel - Copy.jpg

External device would need to go on bottom of the panel. Can I just push back the insulation or would i need to cut out a space somehow?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
This is more of a code related question that you might need to talk to your inspector, or to verify with the tech department of the unit you want to install. Most of them have some indicator/status lights on them, so you wouldn't want to bury it where it can't be seen. I think it would be fine to just push back the insulation, but I do NOT know for sure!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks