Whirlpool tub drain shoe

Users who are viewing this thread

Gregg G

Reaction score
Hi, guys -

I'm continuing to make slow progress on the new home project. Just finished the water supply lines
to the 2nd bath (first one to install) and no leaks! The Toto toilet install (temporary install, but wife said
had to get it in) went smoothly. No leaks and the subfloor was nice and flat so good seal with just one
wax ring. I filled the tub to overflowing and everything looked pretty good. No leaks at the overflow or
downstream DWV connections. Then I noticed a small drip under the drain shoe right below the gasket
under the tub.

I "googled" and it sound likes several people have reported issues with the gasket supplied by American
Standard as being a little too thin, so doesn't get a tight connection between the shoe and strainer. I tried
to tighten but made it worse, probably by squishing out the plumbers putty around the strainer. I took out
the shoe and strainer all together to get a better look, but ended up cross threading the crummy ABS plastic
drain shoe. So now I need to get another - I think American Standard will send me one free (bought the
waste kit and whirlpool tub at Home Depot), but I noticed that there are several after market "brass drain shoes" 1-1/2", 11-1/2 TPI sold online. Would you recommend I use a brass shoe, or is the plastic ABS shoe
okay if I'm more careful when I install it? I was planning to get a thicker gasket to use with the stock ABS shoe since this is the "fix" that others have reported working well. The strainer is heavy metal, and it seems
like brass would be more resistant to cross-threading instead of a very light ABS plastic part.

Thanks for your advice!

Gregg G.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Stay with the ABS shoe.
You don't even need putty for that to seal. Too much may have been the issue. The seal between the shoe and the tub needs to be clean. Go easy on the putty.

tub-drain-leak-04.jpg

Last edited:

Gregg G

Reaction score
Thanks, Terry. I'll get another ABS shoe and make sure I get a really bright light under the tub to clean the area around the
gasket before I reinstall. I'm thinking there may have been some sawdust or other little crud from the mortar piles that could
have contaminated the gasket.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks