Which Chigaco Faucet Angle Stop Ball Valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
I've done a lot of building but not a great deal of plumbing. I'm putting a bathroom in a house I'm building for myself. I need to know which Chicago Faucet angle stop ball valves I should get for my bath and kitchen sinks, and also for my bathtub and toilet. I'll be running Type L Cu 1/2" stub-outs. Thanks.

Taylorjm

Reaction score
As long as it's a quarter turn, I'm not real picky. I can't stand the washer type. they always seem to never shut off when you need them or the packing leaks.

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
Yeah, I definitely want the 1/4 turn. But I've always shied away from compression fittings, and that's all I see in the home improvement stores. So compression fittings are OK on Type L Cu pipe?

Taylorjm

Reaction score
Personally I don't have an issue with compression fittings at all. They have been around forever. Now if you were going to go with the slip on sharkbite ones, we would have some words... lol

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
Now the top fitting on the angle valve--going up to the faucets there are several choices. Would 3/8 comp be a good choice? Or?

Reach4

Reaction score
Now the top fitting on the angle valve--going up to the faucets there are several choices. Would 3/8 comp be a good choice? Or?
The great majority of lavatory faucets get hooked to valves with 3/8 compression out.

Those can be used with tubing as an actual compression fitting, but most are connected with a flex hose that has a gasket that does the sealing.

Last edited:

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
Yes, the stainless braided flex hose is what I'm used to--I just didn't know exactly how/what it attached to on the ball valve. Thanks.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The new faucets if they come with their own supplies are 3/8" compression.
One more reason to have new shutoffs on the truck along with a sleeve puller to remove the old stop. On kitchen sink replacments, often the old stops on the hot side have no rubber washer left, or if there is still some there, bits could float up into the new faucet. I've always installed compression stops, the easiest to replace when needed.
Some old homes with copper piping had galvanized nipples to threaded stops. Some of those are now breaking off, and often nearly closed off with corrosion. Copper to steel was never a good idea.

RustyKnuckles

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. I've done more than a few "favors" for friends who have had shut-off valve problems in old homes and I came to hate the old stops that screwed onto galvanized.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks