When should you replace your disposal? How long do they last?

Users who are viewing this thread

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like to replace disposals at eight years. If you ask the manufacturer, they will tell you they are good for 15 years. Well..........maybe that can happen. What can also happen is that the blades get dull and they start peeling instead of chipping and the need to call a plumber to clear your drains starts to increase. How much to call a plumber out as compared to how much does it cost to buy the little motor spinning the chipping blades?

Pretty much anytime you replace your kitchen sink, you should get a new disposer. Most of the cost of a sink replacement is in the labor. The disposal is very little of that cost anyway, and who wants to spend twice on labor if the thing does poorly in the next year or so.

Asking people when they replace their disposer is funny too. It's always like brand new to them. Like they remembered the delivery day like it was only yesterday.

badger-5-13-yo.jpg

Here is a disposer that the husband installed just a short time ago. Yes, it may be rusted solid and now no water drains out of it, but surely it can be made to work. Can't it?
Dear lady, the sad answer to that is no!!

disposer_old.jpg

Here is one from 1982, I was going to replace it next time I visited Santa Rosa, but the house burned down before I could make the trip back. Is this why there are tails of old disposers still being spun?

disposer-piping-2.jpg

Still your best bet is to replace at eight years if you want everything draining nicely. They do wind up getting their share of grease inside making the drain holes smaller over time. With Insinkerator, the date code is in the serial number. The first two numbers are the year, so like 19 would be 2019, the first one pictured in the series was 06 as in 2006. The next two numbers are the month.

disposer-piping-4.jpg

The PRO series from Insinkerator is nice too.

I won't install American Standard, WasteKing or Moen disposers. I've been doing this for too many decades to waste my time on those anymore.
I do install Insinkerator though. Ask a plumber because, they know. :)

Last edited:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
perry-1.jpg

I had to saw this one off. I don't know who took the screws or lost them. It was rattling in the sink.

disposer-very-old.jpg

This one is too old too.

disposer-very-old-1.jpg

This one is leaking too.

Last edited:

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
And power snake the drain while doing work 9 times out of 10 when working on this the drain will stop up shortly after

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I just installed an Insinkerator PRO 880LT with the remote decktop switch for my home. It has autoreversing.

InSinkErator Model PRO 880™ with MultiGrind® and SoundSeal® technologies, 7/8 HP motor, Auto-Reverse Grind System® feature, Stainless Steel Grind Chamber and components.

It's really quiet.
I once was called back because the homeowner couldn't hear the disposer running. Better hearing aids I guess for some of my customers. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks