What should i get with 2 points

Users who are viewing this thread

KW Smith

Reaction score

Two 2" 80 gauze points at the end of 10' of 1 1/2" pipes and check valves then 1 1/4" to Js5h gould pump. Pressure tank is an old 50 gallon water heater. This is for watering the lawn and gardens for 2 homes.
Question is, what should the recovery rate be on a 30-50 pressure switch? Don't look to close at the set up, it works?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Two points should let in a lot more water than a J5SH can pump. "Recovery rate with a 30/50 switch" doesn't make any sense. What are you wanting to know?

KW Smith

Reaction score
My situation is that it takes about 5-6 minutes to recover when using minimal water from when the pump comes on at 30 psi and goes off at 50 psi. Also if we leave the water off for a few hours it will lose prime, not sure how as we have leak checked everything a couple of times.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you have a huge 80-119 size pressure tank a J5SH could take 3-5 minutes to fill it. If you have a smaller tank the pump is not putting out as much as it should. Losing prime while off probably means you have a check valve and a foot valve, and you only need the foot valve.

KW Smith

Reaction score
No foot valves, I have a check valve at the ground level (because I didn't do it before dropping the point) on both sand points. I misqoted the pump it is a Franklin 5RM2-S 1/2 hp. If I run 2 sprinklers it will not pressurize past 40 psi.
Second query - is it ok for the pump to run non-stop for a while or should it be off and on per pressure?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
As long as it takes to build to 50 I am going to guess the water level is 10-15' or more? If that is the case that pump will only deliver about 4-5 GPM, which is why it won't run two sprinklers. With a check valve on top of the point well you can lose prime if the vacuum is lost below the check valve. Either there is a suction leak before the check valve or the sand point is not sealed to the earth above the water level.

Yes pumps are made to run continuously. It will say "duty" "Cont" for continuous duty right on the side of the motor. I have a submersible that hasn't shut off in 18 years. They like running 24/7. A jet pump is the same except the ball bearings have a certain life span, but it is figured in years of running.

KW Smith

Reaction score
Thank you. Will pull check valves to the pump apart and re-do all joints with tape and compound. I really appreciate all of the information!!!

KW Smith

Reaction score
Pulled apart check valve to tee and found a joint issue, taped and joint compound all of it back together. VALVEMAN I just want to THANK YOU for your information. Problem is solved. Prime and pump are working better than ever. Thank you again for all your help and knowledge!!!!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks