What kind of “oil” on compression fittings

Users who are viewing this thread

Sokolq55

Reaction score
Lots of mentions about using a “drop of oil” with compression fittings. What specifically is meant by that? Can I use some faucet grease for the same purpose?

And on a related note, is faucet grease the best thing to use for lubrication various rubber parts like o rings, etc.?

Reach4

Reaction score
People suggest a drop of oil, or pipe compound serving as a lube, on the threads.

Some suggest some pipe compound on the ferule as well. I have limited experience, but I like the pipe compound. I can see silicone grease on the ferule being helpful to help the small flow of metal too.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Any greases you use on rubber or plastic must be non petroleum based such as silicone grease. I usually use dope on compression. Generally I put the ferrule on the tip of my finger and lightly dope the outside of the ferrule.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It isn't 'needed', but it can make it easier to snug up the compression nut. Otherwise, especially with some of the cheaper Chinese stuff where the threads aren't cleanly cut, the nut can 'stick' a little as you try to tighten it up, sort of jerking rather than smoothly rotating until you get it where you want to.

The whole idea is to lubricate the threads so it tightens smoother. Almost anything...a short sprite of WD40, a little dab of plumber's grease, a small drop of sewing machine oil, whatever, even take a bar of soap and rub a little on the threads. You don't need much, and you don't want lots. You don't want to contaminate the end of things so it might get into the water or you'll taste it for awhile. That's why silicone plumbing grease is good as it's okay for potable water.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks