What kind of bathtub to get???

Users who are viewing this thread

Lori Wellman

Reaction score
We are replacing our 27 year old fiberglass tub surround with a new tub and a tile surround. It's the guest bathroom that is used by our kids who are now grown and do not take baths anymore so we mostly use it as a shower. I have no idea what kind of tub and or brand to get. Our plumber told us to get an enameled steel tub but the two showrooms he sent us to said they did not have any and pointed us to acrylic or vikryl. Both places quoted us on the Sterling Ensemble for the vikryl. For the acrylic one quoted the Kohler Archer for $950 and the other the Signature Hardware Old Mirabelle for $600. I think we are leaning toward acrylic but wondering if the Kohler is worth the extra money or the SH is just as good. If we do go with enameled steel like our plumber recommended, is there a good one someone could recommend? Would probably have to go to a big box store to get that one since the two showrooms we went to did not carry them. I am so confused at this point so looking for any advice I can get. I just want a tub that will last, is easy to clean and will not yellow like our old fiberglass one did.

Thank You!!
Lori

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Americast makes a good steel tub.

The Archer is good too. I've installed plenty of the Sterling kits with the walls, but if you're going tile, maybe the Americast and Archer.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
From what I've read, avoid the enameled steel tubs. Without a really substantial backing material, the enamel coating can be cracked if you drop something and bend the fairly thin steel backing. That will expose the steel to moisture, and it will start to rust.

Cast iron could rust, but it is WAY stronger than a thin steel tub, and is less likely to exhibit that problem. Treat the finish properly, and it should easily last decades and look good.

Acrylic surfaces are softer. They are often on a fiberglass structure, but not always. They may need some reinforcement to prevent flex and stress cracking, but if you treat the surface well, can last a long time and look good.

A gel coated fiberglass is probably the least durable, especially if it is not very well supported so it can't flex and get stress fractures.

Some of the cost on things is in the name. Other parts are the design. You don't always get what you pay for. It just depends.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks