What is this pipe and why is it leaking?

Users who are viewing this thread

Earle Wood

Reaction score
IMG_20180207_175848.jpg
IMG_20180207_175856.jpg
MVIMG_20180207_175802.jpg
MVIMG_20180207_175809.jpg

Hi guys and gals,

I have a pipe that runs through the footing in my garage's foundation to the outside of the house. Rainwater comes through this pipe into my garage. Here are my questions:
  1. What is this pipe for?
  2. Can I plug it?
  3. Are there other solutions for how to keep the water out of my garage?
Additional details:
  • My sump pump works well.
  • The walls on the inside of the garage are dry. The wall on the outside is wet (because it is raining), but there are not sheets of water running down the wall. It is just damp.
  • This only happens when it rains.
  • It has gotten worse over the years. Perhaps related, the soil directly outside of that pipe's location has gotten higher on that wall because of landscaping.
I appreciate any help that can be offered. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Earle Wood

Reaction score
Lower the grade. It was a mistake to raise the grade.

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I'm not responsible for the landscaping. The HOA did that. Just accumulated mulch, year after year, for 17 years.

The question still remains: what is that pipe for? Can I plug it?

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
My guess it was meant to be a way for water to exit the garage. Water appears to be collecting on the other side of that wall. I think it should be excavated and french drain be put in to take the water away from the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks