What is this - PEX with steel crimp rings?

Users who are viewing this thread

Stephenson

Reaction score
58AC7751-0687-463B-881A-6766A00B7A15.jpeg
Hi All,

Haven't been doing many home remodels recently, but found a place I might want - couple of odd things, and have some concerns with supply piping.

At least one bathroom has copper supply out of the back wall under sink - and toilet supply pipes are visible as copper, as well. House built in 1988 so suspect for polybutylene and subsequent repipe ...

But, the kitchen sink supply is as shown in the photo - and, they are run from overhead, even though the house is on slab (Florida).

I don't own the house so can't investigate much - one hypothesis is a leak under slab that was accessed through floor, capped, then retiled (can't tell from the tile as it may have been done afterward (owner died and family doesn't know), then PEX run overhead into wall and then out (but the back wall of the cabinet looks intact ...?

The rings on the PEX (?) look to be steel (rust?) - could they be copper with coating?

Thoughts on what happened?

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Probably copper with a black finish. Should not attract a magnet.

Stephenson

Reaction score
My son took the photos while I was checking other things - didn't know till got back last night - would have done, just that.

I was kinda thrown by the fact (I think) that PEX crimps are copper or plastic, and cinches are usually stainless ...

Reach4

Reaction score
But, this is PEX pipe? (poly was always gray - and, to my knowledge never color coded?)
Poly means different things to different people. To many, poly pipe is polyethylene pipe.

PB means different things to different people to I guess... Part of PB&J.

It is almost certain that you have pex, but uncover some more markings on the pipe if you want to know for sure what you have.

Stephenson

Reaction score
Sorry, meant polybutylene ... I'm familiar with it's story of woe.

yep - I may try and revisit (owners have to approve) and take a look - market pretty hot now, so less flexibility than usual market times.

Thanks!

Reach4

Reaction score
Sorry, meant polybutylene ... I'm familiar with it's story of woe.

yep - I may try and revisit (owners have to approve) and take a look - market pretty hot now, so less flexibility than usual market times.

Thanks!
So I suspect you are a prospective buyer. Nothing suspicious that I see. I am not a pro.

Google "pex crimp rings" and look at pictures. You will see many are black.

Stephenson

Reaction score
Ha - yeah, the house is of the era (1988) when PB was used - and then replaced - just trying to figure out what happened here so I understand risks :)

Nebojsa

Reaction score
I don't know who did the electrical and plumbing but, no way should those two be that close.

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
View attachment 72259 Hi All,

Haven't been doing many home remodels recently, but found a place I might want - couple of odd things, and have some concerns with supply piping.

At least one bathroom has copper supply out of the back wall under sink - and toilet supply pipes are visible as copper, as well. House built in 1988 so suspect for polybutylene and subsequent repipe ...

But, the kitchen sink supply is as shown in the photo - and, they are run from overhead, even though the house is on slab (Florida).

I don't own the house so can't investigate much - one hypothesis is a leak under slab that was accessed through floor, capped, then retiled (can't tell from the tile as it may have been done afterward (owner died and family doesn't know), then PEX run overhead into wall and then out (but the back wall of the cabinet looks intact ...?

The rings on the PEX (?) look to be steel (rust?) - could they be copper with coating?

Thoughts on what happened?

Thanks!

That is PEX piping, the crimp rings are powder coated copper.
Pex crimp rings come in several varieties but they are all copper to allow proper compression.

Stephenson

Reaction score
D1F06626-FA0A-4A4F-BCE1-A5383A9241ED.jpeg

so ... moved big dresser in next room and found awful oath job - very likely repair made from the back - supply lines from under slab leaking and terminated somewhere, then pex run in attic and down wall cavity into under sink area? Still some mystery though regarding where the lines were terminated.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I was doing mostly underground soft copper in 1988 . I don't think we were doing PEX at all then. So I'd say the PEX was likely added later you could be right about a slab leak but who knows why would both pipes would be changed ? just a guessing game.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks