What is the capacity of typical tub overflows?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bobcatm1

Reaction score
What is the capacity (GPM) of typical tub overflows?

Does the overflow cover type (lever. rotating, grid/holes) make a big difference?

The reason I'm asking is that it seems that the tub faucet valve system's max capacity should not exceed the tub overflow capacity so the tub can't overfill

Thanks

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
There are so many variables at play here. Depends on the type of tub, the type of overflow, the type of overflow cover, the gpm incoming.

One plumber on these forums suggests adjusting the flow for a toilet to not exceed the overflow tube, and perhaps that could be done for a tub, but I've never done it. No fixtures including tubs are required to have overflows so its really up to the user to ensure they don't flood their homes by overfilling.

Bobcatm1

Reaction score
Thanks Tuttles -- Maybe I need to pull out the calculator and approximate flow into a 1 1/2 pipe with very little static head pressure..Or install a loud timer in the bath Ha Ha

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks