Wellmate HP-9 tank with AVC, fed by Micronizer - but not sucking in air

Users who are viewing this thread

tomlindy

Reaction score
Moved into house a few years ago with the well line feeding a micronizer ahead of an HP-9 tank with an AVC, used as an aeration tank to get rid of an H2S smell, and then into a standard bladder-type pressure tank. Everything worked fine, until recently the micronizer stopped sucking in air (regardless of the setting). I suspected the AVC might have been malfunctioning since the tank seemed too full of water, so I drained everything and cleaned it up. I also was concerned the bladder tank might have been bad so I had it checked but it was fine, although the tank empty pressure was down to 20psi. They set the pump cut-in/out settings to 50/70psi, and the bladder pressure to 47.

When I restarted, and refilled the system, the micronizer sucked air for about 45 seconds of the roughly 5 minutes it took to refill the system, so it obviously isn't clogged, but after that during normal pump cycles it doesn't suck any air again, regardless of the micronizer setting. The WellMate tech support line couldn't agree on the cause - one said bad micronizer, another probably the AVC. But I'm also wondering if the pressure is just set too high. Anyone have experience with a situation like this?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Probably need to clean or replace the Micronizer. It is probably gunked up around the venturi. Air volume control only lets the excess air out, has nothing to do with your problem.

Reach4

Reaction score
They set the pump cut-in/out settings to 50/70psi,
LLigetfa has posted that his micronizer will not draw air while the water pressure is over 50 psi. Consider reducing the pressure switch (and air precharge) if you want the the micronizer to introduce air. He has his pressure switch set to 40/60, with the micronizer bringing in air up to 50 psi.

You could drop to 30/50, and then increase later if you have air to spare.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The pressure shouldn't have anything to do with it. It is the volume of water going past the venturi that sucks in air. However, the lower the pressure the more a pump produces. So, some pumps might not make enough volume of water for the venturi to work until the pressure is lower than 50 PSI. But if your pump can make the volume needed at higher pressure the venturi will still draw in air. If the pump is good and the volume of water hasn't changed, I suspect something clogged in the area around the venturi nozzle.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
The pressure shouldn't have anything to do with it. It is the volume of water going past the venturi that sucks in air.
The pressure is a factor. The venturi creates a vacuum but at higher pressure it cannot do it.

The volume (speed) of water going through it depends on pressure as pumps run on a curve. When I replaced my Goulds pump with a Grundfos, I got better performance with my Waterite micronizer.

If it worked before, it should still work within the same pressure range. If it does not, then it is likely fouled and needs to be cleaned. They are a high maintenance item. I have two of them plumbed in with valves and unions so that I can switch over to the backup while I take it out of service to remove and clean.

chrome_2020-04-29_19-00-34.jpg

You might want to consider a Mazzei brand instead as they are purported to be better performing but then I don't know what brand you have. I assume you have a Wellmate which I have no experience with.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When I restarted, and refilled the system, the micronizer sucked air for about 45 seconds of the roughly 5 minutes it took to refill the system
5 minutes sounds like a long time to refill the system. What does that equate to in GPM? Remember that pumps run on a curve so the first quarter will be faster than the last quarter. My micronizer requires 5 GPM of flow through it to suck air.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I have injectors working at 100 PSI. The restriction in the injector causes a pressure differential that draws in the air. If you have enough flow to make that happen, it will work at any pressure.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks