Well Water Pressure Problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Caricaturebeast

Reaction score
About a week ago the water from my well stopped. The breaker that my well pump is on had kicked off. No big deal I thought As there are other things on the circuit. Flipped it back on and worked fine. A couple days later it did it again. So I tried to find out what was tripping the breaker. Couldn't find anything. Well yesterday the water stopped again, but the breaker didn't trip.
The well pump wasnt running. I checked the pressure switch and it didnt seem to do anything, so I replaced it. Now the well pump seems to be working, but it won't produce any pressure above 10psi.
I say it seems to be working because I can feel it on the water line, and the house runs a steady low pressure stream of water. Also the pressure relief spigot puts out plenty of water. if the pump wasn't working i wouldn't get any water flow right?

Any Ideas???

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
two things. Number one, the pump should be the only thing on that circuit. Number two, the pump is for the most part DOA

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
The pump is running or you wouldn't have any water flow unless the pressure tank is supplying it.

Shut off the breaker and let the water run and see what happens. If it stops, turn the breaker on and see if it starts again. If so, you have a leak or a blockage, a leak from the tank back to the pump or a blockage after the pressure relief valve. If that is at the pressure tank where they usually are, you could have a busted bladder in the pressure tank blocking flow out of it.

Caricaturebeast

Reaction score
Thanks Guys,
I turned the breaker off and the water stopped. I turned I back on and its running again.
I went under the house and closed the valve to the house after the pump and tank to see if the pressure would build up. It didn't
If the bladder is busted and isn't allowing flow wouldn't the pressure build up?
Just asking I don't know if it would or not.

Also on a side note I noticed my watersofter oveflowing with water at a slow rate, but overflowing nonetheless.

-Bob

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
By pass the softener and see if the water pressure and flow doesn't increase.

Where is the water overflowing the softener, at the salt tank?

If the pressure on the gauge doesn't go up when you shut off the water after the pressure gauge, you have a serious water leak between the tank and the check in/on a submersible pump or the foot valve on the bottom of the drop pipe in the well or, something is blocking the inlet to the submersible pump or foot valve for a jet pump (in the well).

Mr.Nice_Guy

Reaction score
You might check the amp draw on the motor. If it's anywhere near Full-Load Amps - then the pump is probably operating correctly - but a leak could mean it's at or near run-out. This would explain the very low differential pressure.

Caricaturebeast

Reaction score
Thanks.
What if the air pressure in the tank is only 11psi I checked it with a tire gauge. Does it need to be higher the tank says 30 psi. Should I add air, if so how?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
Thanks.
What if the air pressure in the tank is only 11psi I checked it with a tire gauge. Does it need to be higher the tank says 30 psi. Should I add air, if so how?
You need 1-2 psi less air pressure in the tank with no water int, than the turn the pump on setting of the pressure switch. I. E. 30/50 on/off gets 29-28 psi air pressure with no water in the tank.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
Thanks.

Assuming you have a bladder type tank there is typically a schrader valve on the top of the tank--like the valve on a tire-that is used to add air. There is likely a "cap" or cover on the valve that must be removed to add air. You can use a manual pump (a lot of pumping if the tank is large) or an air compressor. To adjust the pressure you need to drain all the water out of the tank and then inflate the tank to 2 psi less than your low pressure setting on the pressure switch. (if you have a 30/50 pressure switch inflatethe tank to 28)

Last edited:

Caricaturebeast

Reaction score
Thanks.
Could this be a cause of low water pressure or is it just and additional problem needing fixed?

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
There are a number of Sticky posts at the top of this forum, reading them is a great idea.

You need the correct air precharge psi with no water in the tank or you can harm the pump motor. So check and adjust it as needed, then see if your pump will build enough pressure to shut itself off. If not, which I suspect due to a water leak, you have a water leak or something worng with the pump.

So reread what you've been told above and find the problem and fix it, or not and you'll probably end up with no water some time soon because this isnt' going to get better with time, your choice. But the problem is not your pressure tank as you seem to think it is. To prove that, replace it with a new one.

And if you don't want to do this stuff yourself, hire a pump guy, well driller or only a plumber that is willing and capable of pulling the pump (sad to say that most plumbers are not).

Caricaturebeast

Reaction score
Thanks Guys.
Gary. Don't think Im Ignoring the previous posts. Im not. I'm working on checking those. Bypassing the water softener is not so easy, there's not bypass valve or line, I have to run a another line to do that.
Shutting off the water after the tank didn't help the water pressure, when i left the pump on.
I sht the pump off to see if the pressure went down to check for leak, the pressure stayed at 10.

NHmaster

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Why does no one actually bother to read the OP. The pump tripped the breaker 3 times and then stopped pumping. This does not take three pages of text to figure out.

Bob999

Reporter
Reaction score
I sht the pump off to see if the pressure went down to check for leak, the pressure stayed at 10.

If you have a 2 floor House plus basement and the pressure is being read at the basement floor level you will get a 10 psi reading just from the column of water in the house. So--if you have a working check valve at the tank in the basement that would maintain the column of water above even if you have a leak down the well.

I think Gary Slusser is giving you good advice--you likely have a leak down the well or between the well and the pressure tank.

Last edited:

Caricaturebeast

Reaction score
Why does no one actually bother to read the OP. The pump tripped the breaker 3 times and then stopped pumping. This does not take three pages of text to figure out.
Sorry guys. I'm a professional artist. not a plumber. I'm doing the best I can. I can't afford a plumber or well guy right now.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks